AnsweredAssumed Answered

"lookup" fields that relate to multiple other fields?

Question asked by barfaz on May 6, 2009
Latest reply on May 6, 2009 by barfaz

Title

"lookup" fields that relate to multiple other fields?

I would like to know how to create a field that will lookup data in several other fields, based on complex relationships.

For example, table 2 is linked to table 1 via a relationship between Fields A and B in both tables, whereas table 3 is linked to table 1 via a relationship between Fields A, B and C in both tables. I want the data in Field M in table 1 to be the same as that already entered in Field M in table 2 if the record in table 1 matches that in table 2 for Fields A and B. If there is no match, then I want field M in table 1 to be the same as that already entered in Field M in table 3 if the record in table 1 matches that in table 2 for Fields A, B and C. If there are no matches, then I want Field M to remain blank.

First, can I do this with a field definition or do I need to write a script to enter data into field M in table 1?

Second, if I can do this with a field definition, can I do it as a realtime lookup so that the data in field M in table 1 reflects changes in field M in tables 2 or 3?

Outcomes