8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 2:22 PM by philmodjunk

"Phantom" fields in a layout!

gregew

Title

"Phantom" fields in a layout!

I modified a template layout for a report (can't remember from whom I received it), and there are several invisible fields that when clicked on trigger a Sort.  I can make their outlines appear and can adjust their size (I've also been able to give them a black outline to make them visible), but when highlighted nothing appears in the Inspector except their size and position--there's no Button script and I can't delete or change them.  I can see what kind of Sort has been programmed into them by clicking on one, and then opening the Sort dialog window via the Menu bar, which then reveals the Field that it sorts on appears.  I try to change the field sort there, but this Phantom field resists all attempts to edit it.

I've highlighted one of them and attached the screen grab so you can see what I mean.  I've dragged the fields off the layout.

Phantom_Field.png

• 1. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
          gregew

I noticed that the Inspector's Position tab doesn't really make the point fully, and so here's another frame grab of the Data tab.

• 2. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
            philmodjunk

They don't look like fields. They look like rectangle or button objects. But I wouldn't expect them to be accessible in Browse mode ("when I click on them, they sort records...") as they are not within the boundaries of the layout.

• 3. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
              gregew

They are accessible in Browse mode when I have them inside the layout.  A click on each one triggers a Sort of the Records.

So if they're not fields, and a right-click/Button Setup indicates nothing, and Inspector doesn't register anything except Appearance, what are they? And how do I delete them?  (Actually I'd much rather learn how to edit them so I can use them -- they would be useful if I could figure out what they are and how to get into them!)

• 4. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
                philmodjunk

Try ungrouping them. There may be two or more objects grouped together and one of them is a button object. The grouping can keep the button set up options from being visible.

• 5. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
                  gregew

Yep--there were two rectangle objects grouped, and after ungrouping it was necessary to click on its border so very precisely to be able to identify the button script that it must have been one pixel wide.  Thickening the border didn't make right-clicking to open the dialog any simpler.  This was one of the more physically-challenging tasks I've encountered in FMPro!

• 6. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
                    philmodjunk

Here's how I work with transparent objects:

1) drag the mouse cursor across them to select them. Shift Click items selected by this drag that are not what I wanted to select to deselect them.

2) select a fill color for the objects

3) They are now visible and easy to work with.

4) when done, check final position of the object and once again specify a transparent fill color.

• 7. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
                      gregew

Yep, sure sounds like you've dealt with this  before. 

I'll experiment later when I get back to the work, but it appears that if there's fill, then the entire shape becomes clickable, not just the thin border.  That'll sure make things simpler.

• 8. Re: "Phantom" fields in a layout!
                        philmodjunk

I'm using this technique in my new Adventures in FileMaking series of instructional Freeware. I insert a screen shot cropped from Manage Database Relationships onto the layout to show the table occurrences and relationships used to make the topic demo'ed on that layout work. I then put a transparent button over each table occurrence that takes the user to a table view of the data found in that Occurrence's table.

So I've had to fiddle with transparent buttons a lot over the last few weeks...wink

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking