AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Quicktime and tiff (uncompressed) decompressor" error, graphic conversion on import

Question asked by JustinP on Feb 1, 2010
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 by KarenBovenmyer

Title

"Quicktime and tiff (uncompressed) decompressor" error, graphic conversion on import

I have a legacy database created on various Macs using Filemakers 4,5 and 6 over the years. On a Windows 7 PC some of the images don’t display but instead generate the error message “Quicktime and a tiff (uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture.” Quicktime is installed on the PC in question. According to the following link: http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=768&p_created=1115172467 if I convert this Filemaker database to a .fp7 format the graphics should be converted to a cross platform format. However when I import using either Filemaker7 or Filemaker9 on a Windows PC I still get the error in both browse mode and preview mode. When I do the conversion using Filemaker7 or Filemaker 9 on a Mac (10.5), and then open the database on a PC I get the error still in browse mode but in preview mode I can see the image. I know there are ways round this with small databases of exporting the pictures and manually re-importing them as jpegs, however that is not an option here, a definitely need a fix that works in bulk. So my questions are:

1)      Is there some way to make the Filemaker7 import to convert the images as the Filemaker website claims it should?

2)      If not, is there a way of getting the PC to correctly display the image? Quicktime player IS setup to be the default application to display tiffs – but I don’t know what happens when an app like Filemaker needs to render a tiff – is there some kind of plug-in that needs to be installed rather than the Quicktime player?

3)      Failing these two are there any commercial products which can do a mass conversion of images inside container fields in Filemaker databases (I’ve tried Google but it didn’t seem to be clear to me)? 

Outcomes