3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 2:48 PM by KarenBovenmyer

"Quicktime and tiff (uncompressed) decompressor" error, graphic conversion on import

JustinP

Title

"Quicktime and tiff (uncompressed) decompressor" error, graphic conversion on import

I have a legacy database created on various Macs using Filemakers 4,5 and 6 over the years. On a Windows 7 PC some of the images don’t display but instead generate the error message “Quicktime and a tiff (uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture.” Quicktime is installed on the PC in question. According to the following link: http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=768&p_created=1115172467 if I convert this Filemaker database to a .fp7 format the graphics should be converted to a cross platform format. However when I import using either Filemaker7 or Filemaker9 on a Windows PC I still get the error in both browse mode and preview mode. When I do the conversion using Filemaker7 or Filemaker 9 on a Mac (10.5), and then open the database on a PC I get the error still in browse mode but in preview mode I can see the image. I know there are ways round this with small databases of exporting the pictures and manually re-importing them as jpegs, however that is not an option here, a definitely need a fix that works in bulk. So my questions are:

1)      Is there some way to make the Filemaker7 import to convert the images as the Filemaker website claims it should?

2)      If not, is there a way of getting the PC to correctly display the image? Quicktime player IS setup to be the default application to display tiffs – but I don’t know what happens when an app like Filemaker needs to render a tiff – is there some kind of plug-in that needs to be installed rather than the Quicktime player?

3)      Failing these two are there any commercial products which can do a mass conversion of images inside container fields in Filemaker databases (I’ve tried Google but it didn’t seem to be clear to me)?