12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 6:51 AM by EP

"Record is being modified in another window"

EP

Title

"Record is being modified in another window"

Have a weird issue that I'm troubleshooting and to make matters worse, it is intermittent, meaning I can't reproduce the issue at will.  I have a layout that uses the Invoices table.  On this layout I have a portal displaying OtherTable::Comments related to the Invoices record.  Users are able to click a button which pops up a window to add a new Othertable::Comments record.  Occasionally, they are greeted with the "Record is being modified in another window" message.  Is this because of the portal?  If so, any workarounds available?

Thanks

• 1. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
          philmodjunk

It's not because of the portal, it's exactly what your error message is telling you. You have the record being modified in the pop up window already "open" for editing in the original window. This "edit lock" then prevents you from making changes to the same record in the newly opened window.

You'll need to make sure that the record is not open for editing at the moment you open the pop up window. You may need to do a commit records just before opening the pop up window, but since you have a portal, you'll need to be careful as this step will lose the "focus" on a specific portal row. You may need to capture the portal row's ID value and/or row number in a variable first.

• 2. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
            EP

So this will only happen if a field is selected in the portal row?  In that case I can turn off editing in browse mode for the portal fields.  Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just tried adding records in the OtherTable popup and added 3 with no issue.  I even left the cursor in one of the portal fields and had no issue.  I should clarify that these portal records are not editabe, as once a user finishes adding the record in the popup, they have no way of getting back to that record.  The portal simply displays a history of the records.  Which makes things more confusing because each time the user clicks the button to add another record, a brand new record is created.  I have only seen the problems when testing on a windows laptop, never on my Mac.

• 3. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
              philmodjunk

Are there fields outside of the portal that are editable? I could be wrong, but I think opening the parent record for editing will also trigger this lock when attempting to edit a record in the portal on a different window.

• 4. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                EP

There are fields outside of the portal that are editable, but they belong to the invoices table.  I just created a bunch of records with no issue, I really can't figure this one out.  The way I have the solution set up is as follows:  Users are given a dashboard with a few portals (field entry in browse mode is turned off for all fields).  When the user wants to view an invoice they click on the portal row and a popup appears with the invoice. On this popup is Editable fields from the Invoice table and a portal with 3 fields (Field entry is OFF in browse mode)  from, lets call it the Comments table.  When a user wants to add a new comment, they click a button and another popup appears (creating a new comment record in the Comments table) where they have editable fields to enter in the new comment. When they click OK, a script runs making sure they entered all required fields and closes if so.  One of the users kept getting the error message yesterday when clicking okay and I was scratching my head (we easily solved the problem by closing the popups and then reopening them starting on the dashboard layout and it worked.  I am just bothered by the fact that there lies a bug somehwere and it is intermittent.

• 5. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                  philmodjunk

There are fields outside of the portal that are editable, but they belong to the invoices table.

I know, but it may still "edit lock" each of the records shown in the invoice's portal when you open the invoice record for editing. This was once an issue in older versions, but I haven't recently checked to see if recent versions do this as well.

• 6. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                    EP

Phil, I think I may have confused this posting.  There is no Inovices portal, rather a Comments portal on the Invoices layout.  When a user clicks a button on the Invoices layout, a popup appears with the comments layout (adding a new record to the comments table).  The invoice layout uses the invoice table with a Commentsportal displaying related records from the comments table.  Occasionally users are greeted with the error when trying to commit the new record in the comments table.

• 7. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                      philmodjunk

That is exactly what I understood you to mean. By "Invoice's portal", I meant the portal that is located on the invoice layout--the portal to your comments table.

• 8. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                        EP

So this is sort of a "glitch"? I'll try the workaround you suggested earlier.  Thanks

• 9. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                          EP

I may have found the issue.  On the Comments popup, when the user clicks "OK," I have a Set Field function that targets a field from Invoices.  Maybe this is the cause and NOT the comments table, since Invoices is already open behind the popup.  I'm thinking I should either add a commit records command to the button on Invoices that initiates the Comments popup or use Set Field with a field on the Comments table and have the field that I was originally targeting on Invoices be a calc field (pulling data from the new Comments field).  Thoughts?

• 10. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                            JimMac

I run Mac's also.  It is not a "glitch"!  Only one window can be active at a time.  When you make the Table of Occurance you have options to "allow creation of records" and you must have checked it in your Invoice | Comments setup.

Phil's first response is the most likely problem solution.

In Filemaker, only one record and its related records can be active at a time.   It appears your Invoice Record and the Comments Records are "fighting" for control.

The solution is to give window and record control as you need.

Jim...

• 11. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                              JimMac

i just read you last comment.  You got it!!!  It is hard for me to tell you which way to go, but the Set Field will hold the Invoice record in "control".  Just remember to pass record control and window control as you need the desired result.

Jim....

• 12. Re: "Record is being modified in another window"
                                EP

Thanks a lot guys! This one was driving me nuts.  I woke up this morning realized I checked everything EXCEPT my script.