3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 8:31 AM by ninja

"required" value field is breaking all of my layouts

dscott23

Title

"required" value field is breaking all of my layouts

I created a field called "consent" and classified it as NOT EMPTY so that it would be required to be filled out with either yes or no.  Works well on the layouts that it was intended for.  Issue is..other layouts using the same table now break, telling me that it has to be filled out, even though it is not on the current layout.

• 1. Re: "required" value field is breaking all of my layouts
          philmodjunk

This indicates that your database is doing exactly what you designed it to do, but that it is not doing what you want it to do.

Validation options evaluate at the data level. So as you have discovered, they kick in for every new record in a given table no matter what layout you are on at the time.

There are a number of alternative approaches possible, but I'd need to know a lot more about what you are trying to do before I can suggest an alternative.

• 2. Re: "required" value field is breaking all of my layouts
            dscott23

Thanks Phil.

WE are asking a caller if they give their consent to continue an interview.  I built a layout for a specific project and I added a field in the table named "1315 consent" (where 1315 is the project number).It's very important that we get the persons consent to continue so that's why I tried to make it a mandatory (not empty) field.

• 3. Re: "required" value field is breaking all of my layouts
              ninja

This will work well moving forward...but all of your past records prior to adding that field and validation have no value in the field.  Do a find for the empty ones. 

If you mandate that the field be not empty..you have to put a value in all of the existing empty ones.  That value can be "no consent" or anything else...it is your old records causing you the issue.