4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 1:32 PM by jodowd

"run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...

jodowd

Title

"run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...

I have a table that I have set to 'limited' at the field level with 'view only' for certain fields.  I have a script that needs edit privilege for those 'view only' fields but I don't want the user to be able to edit them so I checked the 'run with full access' box in the script.  When I run the script, it does not override the 'view only' on the fields it needs to edit.  If I change the field permission to 'modifiable' then the script runs fine, but now the user can edit those fields as well.  Is this a bug?

• 1. Re: "run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...
          TSGal

jodowd:

Thank you for your post.

I'm having a little trouble understanding your request.  You want edit privileges, but you don't want the user to edit the fields.  If you set a field permission to be modifiable, then that field can be edited at any time.

If you set a field and layout for limited "view only", then you can run a script to find information in those fields.  Did you then want to edit those fields?

It may be easier if you give me a real life example of what you are trying to accomplish.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: "run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...
            jodowd

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree it is a little confusing.

I have a situation where I have a 'task' table and layout.  I also have two groups, supervisor and user.  I want the supervisor to be able to create, edit, and delete any tasks; no problems there...  I want the user to be able to create tasks for him/herself.  This requires two fields in the task table(assign_by and assign_to) to be filled by script(both fields are auto-set to the current user name) because the user should not be able to change the task assignments.  They should however be able to add to(edit) other task fields like 'notes' and the 'isCompleted' boolean field.

As such, for the 'user' privilege set, I thought I needed to use the 'limited' privileges for the 'fields' of the 'task' layout, setting the  'assign_to' and 'assign_by' to view only(restricting them for the user) and the others to modifiable(allowing the user to edit).  My plan was that the script would fill the two 'view only' fields by running with Full Access Privileges.  This does not appear to work that way.

Sorry about all the verbage but hopefully this paints a clearer picture.  Bottom line, the 'Run Script with Full Access Privileges' does not appear to override a 'view only' setting at the field level.   Or... I am missing something.

• 3. Re: "run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...
              TSGal

jodowd:

Thank you for the explanation.

Here is another approach....

FileMaker Pro allow you to automatically enter data into a field when a new record is added.  For example, you can set your "assign_by" and "assign_to" fields to automatically enter the User Account name when a new record is added.  To do this, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database...".  Select "assign_by" field and click "Options".  Click the "Auto-enter" tab (if not already selected), and check "Calculated value".  In the calculation dialog box, enter:

Get (AccountName)

Click OK, and do the same thing for the "assign_to" field.

Now, return to your access privileges and change these from Full Access Privileges to View only.  When a new record is added, the value is added to those two fields and the user will be unable to edit it and change the task assignments.  Does this make sense?

Let me know if this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: "run with full access" script does not override field level 'view only' privilege...
                jodowd
                   That did not completely solve the issue, but went a long way toward figuring out the solution.  Thank you very much for your time!:smileyhappy: