5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 6:37 AM by philmodjunk

"Solved": Calender date

tays01s

Title

"Solved": Calender date

I'd like a compact field to have a 'drill-down' calender to get 'date of birth'. It be formatted as a scrollable drop-down:

yy

when you pause on chosen year mm (1-12) appears

when you pause on chosen month dd (1-31) appears

so the lists would be inset:

yy

mm

dd (if the dd could be contextual to mm/yy, ie. 28-31d as appropriate, fine, though not essential)

• 1. Re: "Solved": Calender date
          philmodjunk

Closest approach to that would be three small drop down fields next to each other on the layout. The third drop down could be a conditional valuel ist to list only the days possible for the selected month and year. Can't do it by pausing on a value in FileMaker as you can't set up sub menus in a value list.

• 2. Re: "Solved": Calender date
            tays01s

Thanks.

OK. That approach may be useful for similar situations I have in mind. But it looks like a calender may still be neater for a date of birth.

• 3. Re: "Solved": Calender date
              philmodjunk

The main drawback to the calendar control is that it is most convenient for dates close to the current date or for dates close to the date already entered into the date field. If you have to click back through 20 odd years, month by month to get from the current date to the person's birthdate, this will be quite inconvenient.

That said, there may be ways to improve on that. If the person enters an age and then their birthdate, you can get the system to put

Date ( Month ( get ( Currentdate )) ; Day ( Get ( Currentdate )) ; Year ( get ( CurrentDate )) - Age )

in the date field as an initial value and then they'll be close to the correct birthdate when they pop up the calendar.

• 4. Re: "Solved": Calender date
                tays01s

Before I check this out is:

Date ( Month ( get ( Currentdate )) ; Day ( Get ( Currentdate )) ; Year ( get ( CurrentDate )) - Age )

a formula you enter for the field? I'm still in the process of converting what I knew of Excel to FM!

• 5. Re: "Solved": Calender date
                  philmodjunk

It can be set up as an auto-enter calculation if you are careful. A script with set field could also use this expression--maybe in conjunction with the OnObjectEnter trigger--but I haven't tested that idea to see if it'd work. Using the script trigger idea, you'd want to check and see if the field is empty before modifying it with the set field step.