Hi Hildy and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you may have deleted the Table Occurrence [TO] that was originally setup on for the fields that now say <table missing>. If you delete a TO after creating fields on a layout, or references in scripts, these will get broken until you repoint them, even if you recreate the relationship with the same name.
If you still have a relationship setup between these two tables then simply double clcik on the field in Layout Mode and repoint the field to the appropriate TO.
I hope this helps
Thanks. Turns out it was user error of course - I had accidentally deleted the wrong table. Thanks for your response.
The right way to solve this problem:
1. Go to "Layout mode"
2. In "Layout menu", select "Layout Setup"
3. Select "General" and there you probably see "<Unknown" in "Show records from:"
4. Select your database in "Show records from:"
5. Click "OK"
6. Double click the first field box with "<Table missing>" from the current layout
7. Select "Current table ("Your name of database")" from "Display data from"
8. Click "OK"
9. Repete 6. - 8. with all other field boxes with "<Table missing>" until you have no more boxes with <Table missing"
10. Hit "control" button and hold it while hitting "B" or select "Browse Mode" from "View" in menu
11. Now you should see your data again!
I hope it works for you, it did for me!
Very best greetings from Iceland to ya all!
Thanks, Haukur! This worked so wonderfully for me, a Filemaker newbie! You saved me having to re-create a new table, which is what I thought I had to do. : )