4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 7:34 AM by CatherinePlanisky

"Table missing" - very confused!

user14360

Title

"Table missing" - very confused!

Hi all,

I'm new to Filemaker and trying to get my head around creating related tables to do calculations with.

I got as far as creating two different tables - one with data of sales amounts for different customers on a weekly basis for a quarter, and then another table documenting the rolling total of those sales as the weeks go by.  The "rolling total" table entries were calculations based on the entries in the "sales amounts" table.  It was all working fine until I started creating a new table for a different purpose, and was playing around with the settings, and Iseem to have done something to make the "rolling total" table go missing. When I click on the "rolling total" table in one of my layout options, every cell has the text "<table missing>".  However, when I go to manage database, the "rolling total" table still appears in the list there as being present, with the correct number of fields and records, and the fields tab shows the correct calculations still all set up.  Also, when I go into another layout mode I had saved, which draws on the data from the "rolling total" table, the data IS there.

Does anyone have any advice about where I can find that table, or what settings I might have toggled to make it think the data isn't there?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hildy. 

• 1. Re: "Table missing" - very confused!
          Orlando

Hi Hildy and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you may have deleted the Table Occurrence [TO] that was originally setup on for the fields that now say <table missing>. If you delete a TO after creating fields on a layout, or references in scripts, these will get broken until you repoint them, even if you recreate the relationship with the same name.

If you still have a relationship setup between these two tables then simply double clcik on the field in Layout Mode and repoint the field to the appropriate TO.

I hope this helps 

• 2. Re: "Table missing" - very confused!
            user14360
               Thanks.  Turns out it was user error of course - I had accidentally deleted the wrong table.  Thanks for your response.
            • 3. Re: "Table missing" - very confused!
              HaukurVagnsson

The right way to solve this problem:

1. Go to "Layout mode"

2. In "Layout menu", select "Layout Setup"

3. Select "General" and there you probably see "<Unknown" in "Show records from:"

4. Select your database in "Show records from:"

5. Click "OK"

6. Double click the first field box with "<Table missing>" from the current layout

7. Select "Current table ("Your name of database")" from "Display data from"

8. Click "OK"

9. Repete 6. - 8. with all other field boxes with "<Table missing>" until you have no more boxes with <Table missing"

10. Hit "control" button and hold it while hitting "B" or select "Browse Mode" from "View" in menu

11. Now you should see your data again!

I hope it works for you, it did for me!

Very best greetings from Iceland to ya all!

Haukur Vagnsson

• 4. Re: "Table missing" - very confused!
                CatherinePlanisky

Thanks, Haukur! This worked so wonderfully for me, a Filemaker newbie! You saved me having to re-create a new table, which is what I thought I had to do. : )