4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 4:32 PM by suef

"Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro o...

suef

Title

"Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer."

I am getting this error message when using files in FileMaker Pro 10 on a new iMac running Mavericks.  The files are in a Dropbox folder, and I can use them without getting this error message on my MacBook Pro, running Lion.  

I also have FMP 11 but I don't use that because I cannot choose a record from a list by typing in the first few letters.  10 allows me to do that.  The files open without the sharing error in 11.

So there is something specific about FMP10 running with Mavericks OS. Can anyone tell me what it is?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro o...
          philmodjunk

I cannot choose a record from a list by typing in the first few letters.  10 allows me to do that.  The files open without the sharing error in 11.

That should be possible in all recent versions of FileMaker and on all Platforms. You may, however, need to use this method to get a more user friendly interface:

FileMaker 12 users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fmp12
               Pre FileMaker 12 Users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fp7

Mavericks is a much newer release of the OS than those that were current with the release of FileMaker 10 so it would not surprise me to hear that FMP 10 has issues when used on Mavericks.

• 2. Re: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro o...
            suef

OK, it's good to hear that selecting from a list is possible in 11, but I am not able to decipher the "Further Explanation" to actually do it. That appears to be telling people how to manage this when they do not link records by ID, with a workaround.  That is not my case.

I have records linked by ID numbers. In 10, when I go to the ID field, I can type in the first few letters of the name to choose from the list. Exactly what do I need to do to be able to do this in 11?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro o...
              philmodjunk

The records are linked by ID, take a look at the relationships set up in Manage | database. But the system uses a different method to achieve that Link than that used with a standard ID number based value list--which is not a very good option once the list gets long even with the ability to type a letter and scroll the list to the first value that starts with the same letter. This method makes the auto-complete feature functional where you can type as many letters as you need to get a list that filters down with each keystroke and where you can press the "exit key" (tab, enter or return if so specified in the Inspector's Behavior section) to stop typing and just select the currently matching value.

The system matches by name in a relationship used only for this purpose--to find the record with the needed ID and then that value is looked up (copied) into the ID field to set up the ID based relationship that would be used throughout your database system. Since matching by names could fail to match to any record or could match to multiple records with duplicate names--an issue that's a problem even with a standard ID code based value list, a script is used to handle such issues and to correctly deal with them.

• 4. Re: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro o...
                suef

Phil said:

The records are linked by ID, take a look at the relationships set up in Manage | database. But the system uses a different method to achieve that Link than that used with a standard ID number based value list--which is not a very good option once the list gets long even with the ability to type a letter and scroll the list to the first value that starts with the same letter. This method makes the auto-complete feature functional where you can type as many letters as you need to get a list that filters down with each keystroke

That's what 10 does now.  I can keep typing more of the name and it narrows the list down for me.

Phi said:

a script is used to handle such issues and to correctly deal with them.

Where do I find that script?