1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 12:10 PM by philmodjunk

'Self-Join' relationship

Frinholp

Title

'Self-Join' relationship

Hi all

I have created a self-join relationship using the same field in both TOC's to create the (=) relationship. This is to enable me to check for uniqueness of a field using

Count TOC::Field) > 

The problem is that only the first line in the field is being taken into consideration. If a carriage return is entered into the field, any text following is ignored.

Does anybody know why this is the case?

Thanks in advance

Lee

<!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->

• 1. Re: 'Self-Join' relationship
          philmodjunk

Into which field? the key field used to define the self join? It isn't actually being ignored, but the return does affect how FileMaker matches records in a relationship.

If you have these two values separated by a return in a relationship:

Apple
          Orange

It will match any record in the related table that has either Apple OR Orange in the match field--which is why the second value appears to be ignored in your case. You may need either a calculation field or text field with auto-entered calculation that uses substitute to replace the return with a different character so that the entire field contents (up to 100 characters, I think) will be used to match values. You'd use this new field as the match field instead of the one you are currently using.

Substitute ( YourField ; ¶ ; ", " )

Is one possible way to do that.