AnsweredAssumed Answered

(Relative) Newbie question on release management

Question asked by StefanSievert on Apr 6, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

(Relative) Newbie question on release management

Hi,

I have been learning FM for a while now to be able to help enhancing a solution my wife uses at her business. I am a very experienced IT person (since 1983, scary...Embarassed) and I am struggling with identifying a reliable way of implementing and testing changes to the solution and then roll them into the production version my wife uses daily; given the FM architecture.

Is there a best practice that should be followed that would allow not having to work in the live version? I am aware of a couple of suggestions relating to keeping layouts in separate files from the data and that makes things a bit easier. However, I still need to apply schema changes to the database once all testing has been succesfully completed and I don't see how to do that with minimal risk and other than manually.

I would appreciate the comments from more FM experienced folks out there. Pointers to documentation are perfectly fine, if there is a good source that I could go to and read up on.

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks for your time!

Stefan

PS: Yes, there will be backups before any change to be able to recover to a defined state, so that's not the answer I am looking for... ;-)

Outcomes