The world has become more complicated since 4/5/6. We can have multiple windows and multiple sort orders at the same moment. There is no longer such a thing like the-one-and-only-true-sort-order.
You have to sort at startup via script.
thanks for the quick reply ! i'm not that great with computers, is this something easy to do???? i take it i will find under menu, etc. is this a one time thing, or will i have to do all the time??? re: sorting by last name etc.
1. Sort by hand as you normally do!
2. Create a script. Scripts -> ScriptMaker -> New
3. Name is 'Startup'.
4. One and only script step is 'Sort'. Search left side and double click.
5. Check that sort order is active as done manually in (1).
6. Close all the dialogs. Save the script at this opportunity.
7. File -> File Options: Define your script as start script!
thanks again !!! i will try shortly, i will follow your instructions and let you know! again thank you for helping me!
Hello, this is not working for me - it seems like I'm missing a step. When you wrote "name is STARTUP" did you mean to create a script called "startup"? Also, I don't see a field on the left called "sort", I only see one called "sort records" (which I did select and appeared to the right). I'm also not sure what you mean by "sort by hand as you normally do". Should I click the box in the create script window called "run script with full access priveleges"? Not sure I did #7 correctly either. I went under file options, then I clicked on perform script box and the "startup" script I created appeared. Did I do that part correctly?
thank you for getting back to me. As mentioned, not great with computers, and alot has changed from filemaker pro4.1 ! my data as mentioned is all there, and i am so use to the older verison of doing things. i went to the site you gave me, followed instructions the best i could, and still nothing. i hope i can get thru with the "800" number they gave me tommorow, for support,they gave me an access number etc. i hope they can walk me thru over the phone! * unless you have an easier way!! thank you again
I think that you almost have it.
1. Go to 'Records' menu. Choose 'Sort Records'. Move your surname field (or whatever it is called) to the 'Sort Order' column on the right. Click 'Sort' button.
2. Go to 'Scripts' menu. Choose 'ScriptMaker'. Click 'New..." Script Name: can be anything that you want to call it, Startup is just a convenient name to remember.
The steps that I would put in the script are:
Show All Records
Sort Records [Restore; No dialog]
Go to Record/Request/Page [First]
Click OK. Now you should be back in the 'Define Scripts' window. You can click 'Perform' if you want to check that your new script works, or just click OK. Now you should be able to see your new script listed under the 'Scripts' menu.
If this does what you want, then proceed, if not, try again.
3. Go to 'File' menu. Choose 'File options'. 'Open/Close tab 'When opening this file perform script: Startup (or whatever you called your new script)
Now when you open your file the script should run, giving you the result that you are after. You can also run your script at any time that you like by choosing it from the 'Scripts' menu.
thanks for your help, followed your instructions(not sure how!) made the script/sort thing pop up last when i'm closing program, i sort, re-open and everything is in alphabetical order!! great!!!! i am very use to 4.1, however, little by little, i will learn. **also thanks to member "who signs his name "jens"...again thanks!