2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 9:22 AM by Annette

.....?

Annette

Title

.....?

Hi.  I'm not sure how to explain this but I will give it a go. 

On my database I have a table which I call people.  It has names, telephones, addresses, etc.  It is basically to enter info for various people, staff, referrers, doctors etc.  It also has tick boxes for various things such as GP, Staff, Referrer. 

There are drop down lists in various other parts of the database that reference this table.  Say a drop down to select a GP and it lists the names of only those that I have ticked the box GP for.  Another which gives only staff members, etc.  There is a button that if the person doesn't appear in the list it brings you to create new record in the people layout. 

What I wanted to do was to create a layout specific to each category so that only the info that relates to that person is present but have it still show records from "people".  So create a table for GP that has name, address phone fields but the staff layout will have name, address, phone, staff #. 

I would like to know this; is there a way so that if I click the button to add a new GP, it brings me to the layout I specified, adds the record to the people table but flags GP so that it appears in the lists in future rather than requiring the user to tick the box for GP?  Also, after the user adds a new record, should they then scroll through other records that are there can you have a layout only show GP's.  It's probably a script but I'm just not sure how to write the script so that it happens correctly.  I'm new to database creation so apologies if this is simple and I'm over-thinking it. 

• 1. Re: .....?
          davidanders

Contacts Table can be related to another occurance of the Contacts Table (Table Occurance)

The relationship can be a Global Field set to "1" and a portal of the 2nd Table Occurance will show all Contacts.

The relationship can be the position field (if there is one that has all the checkboxes) and the portal would show only the GPs

Self Join Relationship   http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/relational.11.10.html

Some databases have more than a dozen self joins.

• 2. Re: .....?
            Annette

Update, I've created a script that runs on the layout entry which does a find for the particular tick box I want.  So I think I have that issue resloved.  All I need to know now is is there a way when you create a new record in the layout can I get it to flag the appropriate item.