2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 4:19 PM by rmanook

.fmp12 increases size of .fp7 databases?

cjcj01

Title

.fmp12 increases size of .fp7 databases?

Hi, does anyone know how the structure of the database impacts filesize in .fmp12?

My reason is that I have a 'mobile' file which is distributed to users via GoZync and file size is critical to prep and distribute new files. As an .fp7 file, the database is 8Mb, but when I covert the file to .fmp12 the filesize jumps up to 18Mb.

If I strip out the data and save a clone of the database (with no records), the filesize as .fp7 is reduced to 3.4Mb, but if I convert the clone to .fmp12 the filesize jumps to 12.3Mb.

I have another database which is hosted on a server which is currently 73Mb.  On conversion to .fmp12 it gets pushed up to only 82Mb, so it's not a general double or tripling of file size.

If you create an empty database in Filemaker Pro 11 it comes out around 50 kb and an empty database in Filemaker 12 is 90kb.  So there is a general increase in file size based on the new format, but what I'm trying to understand is what are the causes of the increase in filesize in the new file structure and how I can reduce these if I want to upgrade the team to FM12?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: .fmp12 increases size of .fp7 databases?
          rmanook

Hi cjcj01:

Thanks for posting.

With the new FileMaker 12 layout design we do expect to see some increase in file size post-conversion dependant on layout heavy solutions.

Here is an excerpt from the FileMaker Pro 12 Help topic Converting files from FileMaker Pro 11 and earlier:

"Converted files may be larger than the original files. Part of the conversion process increases the file size of databases. Though the size increase is typically not significant, the increase varies by file. Make sure you have adequate storage space before converting files."

That said, if it's possible, I'd like to get a copy of your 3.4 MB clone to do some research here.

I've sent a private message to you with instructions on how to send me that file.  To check the message, click on the Inbox link located in the upper right corner of this forum.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: .fmp12 increases size of .fp7 databases?
            rmanook

Hi cjcj01:

I recieved the clone of your database; thanksfor sending it in!

I'll forward the file along with my research to our Development and Testing department.

Thanks,
            tsturtle
            FileMaker, Inc.