2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 9:43 PM by Pine

1-to-many list or summary

Pine

Title

1-to-many list or summary

Hi,

I have created summary reports that look OK, but I realized today that there is a problem. When a student has more than one record in the table with the break field, the student is listed only once in the summary, even though I want to have them listed under each "type" that's in the break field.

For example, a student may receive one or many grants from a handful of sources. The summary report breaks on funding source, in the grant table, where each transaction has a unique ID. I want a list of funding sources, each followed by a list of students who received funding from that source. The list I get shows each source listed once, followed by a list of students; unfortunately, each student is listed only once, even if the student received funding from multiple sources.

Similarly, one student can be sent many letters over time. The summary report breaks on letter type, in the letter table, where each letter has a unique ID. I want a list of letter types, each followed by a list of students who received a letter of that type. The list I get shows each letter listed once, followed by a list of students; unfortunately, each student is listed only once, even if the student received multiple letters.

I tried making lists, instead of summary reports, to see if I could get a more complete listing, but it didn't help.

I had a slightly different version of this that I was able to fix. There were four options, where only very rarely could someone "have" more than one of them. I decided that this would be extremely rare, so made it one field with four values; each student could have only one value. That works OK. I can't solve these the same way, because students will have multiple sources of funding and receive multiple letters.

The good news is that funding and letters have the same problem, so if it's possible for me to get one of them working, I'll be able to fix the other one, too. :)

I'm stumped, and would appreciate suggestions and input. Thanks!

• 1. Re: 1-to-many list or summary
          mrvodka

When you say that the student has multiple funding sources, you do mean that there is an individual record for each type of funding a student has instead of a checkbox or something, correct?

If you have the following records, 

Grant A     John

Grant B     John 

Grant C     John 

Grant A     Becky 

Grant C     Becky

Grant D     John

If you create Grant as the break field ( sorted of course ) you will get a list as such

Grant A

Becky

John

Grant B

John

Grant C

Becky

John

Grant D

John

• 2. Re: 1-to-many list or summary
            Pine

Hi,

Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow.

As indicated in my other question thread tonight, I think that "Go to Related Record" is what I was seeking as the answer to my "one-to-many summary" confusion. I had figured out the portal piece, but didn't get the usefulness of GTRR until 15 minutes ago.

I'm posting this now to save any helpful volunteers from spending time on that question.I think I figured it out!       :smileyhappy: