6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 8:23 PM by ezellkendrick

1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All

ezellkendrick

Title

1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All

Hello,

I have a Field that is designated for Surnames. I have created a value list based on this field, but I have over 1000 surnames. I would like to see certain surnames appear in the Surnames Portal based on the value list selections that I make or show all names. However, Selecting all 1000+ names using the shift select function is not practical. Is there some way to accomplish this with a script which is related to a the drop-down value list?

Thanks

• 1. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
          philmodjunk

You might consider using a conditional value list to "prune" the list down to a shorter subset of the total number of 1000 surnames.

An auto-complete option might also allow you to prune the list down if all the names you select start with the same letter or letters.

You might check out the Adventures in FileMaking series. Adventures 1 and 2 as a way to explore some possible options. They are free to download.

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists (includes details on how to set up a basic field based value list)
          Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection (what to do when a simple value list won't cut it.)

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 2. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
            ezellkendrick

Hello Phil,

I have been studying your Adventure 2 EVS. In looking at your Auto Complete Value Lists II, I am wondering what is the step that gets the name picked (George Smith) from the new window, (with the lists of all the George Smith's),  into a new record? I understand creating the new window etc...just not clear on when clicking the name that you want, what occurs next in scripts or wherever that puts the correct name in the record since I am not seeing a go to table or set field etc., script step.

Please Advise 

• 3. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
              philmodjunk

The AIF series files have been designed so that you can access any layout and take it apart to see how it works.

The fields in the body of that window's layout have been formatted to be a button and perform a script. You can go to that layout, enter layout mode and select Button Setup from the format window to both see the name of the script and (if you click select and then select "edit" from the gear menu) open the scrip to see what it does.

It's a very short script that copies the ID to a variable, closes the window and then sets the ID to the ID field of the underlying layout's current record.

• 4. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
                ezellkendrick

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have done all of those things prior to my message. Specifically, dissecting the "Select / Add Contact" Script trigger which starts the "Check Name" selection script which contains the "If" & "Else if" steps. It is the "Else if" step which opens the new window with the list of names. It was there that I was looking for a definitive step that occurs when selecting one of the other George Smith's which sets that information into the fields.  I tend to look for more steps then there sometimes are considering the hoops I had to jump through when working with flat file databases. This is all still very new to me.

Also what function do you select to get the # instructions that you place in the scripting window?

Thanks

• 5. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
                  philmodjunk

have done all of those things prior to my message.

Not quite. What you describe is not what I was describing.

Pull down the layout menu and find the layout used to list the matching contacts when there is more than one matching contact name. If you go back to the script you describe, you'll find that there's a new window step followed by a go to layout step. That go to layout step names the layout you need to find and examine. I grouped the layouts by main "exploration button" so it should be near the main one you have been working from. Enter layout mode on that layout and double click one of the fields in the body of this list view layout in order to open button setup for the group of fields that I set up as a button for this purpose. These buttons run a different script from the one you describe in your previous post.

Lines in bold face starting with # are comment lines. There's a comment script step near the bottom of the list of script steps in the script editor.

• 6. Re: 1000+ Values Field Related Value List, Need to Select one Value or All
                    ezellkendrick

Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I had begun to go into all the layouts and scripts. Very informative and thanks so much for setting up this tutorial. I appreciate it and intend on thanking you monetarily.

Regards!