3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 2:43 PM by raybaudi

2 beginner questions -- drop-down lists

jimd

Title

2 beginner questions -- drop-down lists & record number

I am creating a database with about 10 fields in it for research through multiple books in three different areas and I don't know how to do the following:

1. There is a field called Area with three checkbox choices in it: "Brecht" "Jazz" or "Mime".  Based on the selection in that field, I would like another field (entitled "Record No.") to autofill with a corresponding "B" "J" or "M" followed by a number, which corresponds to record number in that category.  That is, when I create a new record and then select "Mime" (in the Area category) for example, and it's the 42nd time I've created a record with "Mime" selected in the Area field, then I would like the "Record No." field to automatically fill itself with "M42".  Is this possible?  How would I do it?  I've never used a script before and don't really know how.  Would one of these help?

2. I have a dropdown menu (for a field entitled "keywords" with a value list that keeps updating itself based on values that I put in that field on other records.  It works. But I want to be able to select more than one item from the list.  The help manual says to use a checkbox instead but I expect to have  around a hundred different values (keywords) as options on the menu so a checkbox won't work.  Is there a way to have a field that lets me either write in my own word OR pick from any of the values already created for the field AND be able to select more than one.  I would like to be able to select up to about 10 different keywords from a possible hundred or so and have all 10 show up in the field for that record.  Help?

• 1. Re: 2 beginner questions -- drop-down lists & record number
          ninja

G'mornin' jimd,

Thanks for the post.

Question 1 first...Yes it's possible and Yes you'll want to use a script.

There are a few ways to do this, and I'm going to explain a longer way that I figure is easier to understand since you've not worked with a script before.  A script is basically a little program that launches when you tell it to and does what you've programmed...a series of Do This and Do That's...

option 1: If you can tolerate gaps in your numbering (M1, M2, M7, M14, M15, M23,...) then this whole project gets pretty easy.  You could set up a field "UniqueID" for autoentering a serial#, Set up another field called "Record_Num" and have it be a calculation something of the sort towards:

If(Area=Brecht;"B" & "-" & UniqueID;If(Area=Mime;"M" & "-" & UniqueID...etc., you get the point.

This will result in every record having a different number, but prefixed by the letter of choice.  ie. there will NOT be an M-12 and a B-12...there would instead be M-12 and B-13 with no M-13 ever created.

Option 2:

Set up the autoentered Unique ID anyway.  After you make your selection for "Area", you could run a script "label Record"  I'll abridge some of it to show the purpose...play with the details a bit yourself.

Note: # is a comment prefix...it doesn't do anything except allow you to leave a note for yourself.

# tag the record you're on so you can get back to it

Setfield [globalID;UniqueID]

# Set prefix letter

If Area=Brecht

SetFeild[gloablenewfield1;"B"]

EndIf

If Area=Mime

SetField[globalnewfield1;"M"]

EndIf

# etc..

# Find how many with that prefix already and add 1 to the number

Go to field [Area]

Copy

Enter Find Mode

Go to Field [Area]

Paste

Perform Find

SetField [globaldnewfield2;Get(FoundCount)+1]

# combine the two variables to create your record number

>>Go to your initial record doing a find loop like above, but finding globalID in the UniqueID field

Setfield [Record_Num;globalnewfield1 & "-" & globalnewfield2]

Have a think through it, give it a try...

Sorry, can't help with question #2.  Perhaps another on the board can.

• 2. Re: 2 beginner questions -- drop-down lists & record number
            ninja

I take it back,

I had an idea for your multiple selection/checkboxes.  Perhaps someone else will have a better one.

Make an image that LOOKS like a drop down, but is really a button.  Hitting the button will send you to Layout#2, based on the same table so you'll be on the same record.  Layout#2 will have your big checkbox field so you can choose your multiple entries.  When you're done picking them all, you have a "done" button as part of the checkbox field that sends you back to layout #1.

Just thinkin' out loud...its a way to SEEM to have a drop down checkbox list without really having it.

• 3. Re: 2 beginner questions -- drop-down lists & record number
              raybaudi

Hi jiimd

> 2. I have a dropdown menu (for a field entitled "keywords" with a value list that keeps updating itself based on values that I put in that field on other records.  It works. But I want to be able to select more than one item from the list.

Actually a pop-up menu CAN have multiple choices... press SHIFT while choising a value.

That said, it's hard to select 10 values from a value list of 100 values.