4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 9:19 AM by adario

2 Databases

adario

Title

2 Databases & Conditional Values -- Can it be done? HELP

I have 2 databases. One is a Faculty, the other is Students. 

In the Students DB I want to show their facutly advisor. I want to key in the last name of the advisor and in the next (separate) field I want the Advisor's ID# to pop-up.  I've been trying, but I can't do it so I think it may not be possible using 2 databases... is this correct?

Do I have to make a Portal?

I tried putting a portal, but none of the selections seem to be available.

Please help

Thanks

Amy 

• 1. Re: 2 Databases & Conditional Values -- Can it be done? HELP
          diquito

Depending on the solution you have maybe you can try with a global field.

And use a relation between the global field in the studen db and the lastname field on the faculty db and in the layout use student::global, and faculty::ID#.This will cause the ID to popup as soon as you type in the lastname in the globalfield and exit the field.

NOTE this solution depends on what you want to do with the database :smileyhappy:

• 2. Re: 2 Databases & Conditional Values -- Can it be done? HELP
            adario

Yaaa!  Thank you Diquito.  I will give it a go.

tks

amy

• 3. Re: 2 Databases & Conditional Values -- Can it be done? HELP
              ninja

howdy adario,

Thanks for the post.

What you describe is very much possible.  It's not particularly safe though...not at all.

I make the following assumptions:

1. When you say two Dbases, you mean two Dbases.  If they are two tables, ignore my reference to File References

2. Your Faculty Dbase has a field "LastName" and another field "FacultyID"

Your student Dbase field "Advisor Last Name" should be linked to Faculty Dbase field "Last Name".

Also, on your Student layout, the Advisor ID field should actually be Faculty::FacultyID (a field from the other Dbase).

If this is already the case, check that your File references are in order...that the Student Dbase correctly sees the Faculty Dbase.

++++++++++++++++++++

That done, consider NOT using a name to trigger this relationship.  Mr Jones the math teacher will get confused when all of his students show up to Mrs Jones the art teacher for advice.  Jones = Jones...who's the advisor?  Consider instead having a uniqueID field per faculty member (and the same for the students for that matter) and choosing your Faculty Advisor from a drop down value list based on Faculty Name (with autocomplete of value).  It will get you close to where you describe as your target, but will keep record identifiability safe.

Does that make sense?

Hope this helps...

• 4. Re: 2 Databases & Conditional Values -- Can it be done? HELP
                adario

Hi Ninja,

This does work really well!  Thank you!! Amy :smileyhappy: