4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2015 3:16 PM by philmodjunk

2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows

danlee

Title

2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows

When I open up filemaker on my Mac it opens up in the layout showing my last record searched, which is what I want.  But when I open up the same filemaker database the layout shows all records.  Why does it do that and is there a way that I can fix that to where it just shows last records searched?

This is the script that I have for when the layout opens:

Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]

Show/Hide Toolbars [Hide]

Sort Records [Restore; No Dialog] - I have sort by LastName

Go To Records/Request/Page [First]

Secondly, I have a global container that has a pdf inserted.  The file prints fine when on my mac but when I try to print it on the Windows computer it does not print out the pdf image.

• 1. Re: 2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows
          philmodjunk

Is this file Hosted on a different computer and you are connecting to it by using Open Remote from the file menu? Might you be hosting this on your Mac and connecting to it from your windows machine?

What you describe sounds more like differences between opening the file on the host computer vs. opening it on a client computer than windows vs. Mac issues.

If you view the PDF on your windows computer, can you see the file? Do you see an icon for the file or is this an interactive container field and if so, can you see the contents of the PDF file on the windows computer? Or do you see a "file not found" type message inside the container field?

• 2. Re: 2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows
            danlee

Concerning the pdf, that is the strange thing.  I do not have it stored externally in my global container.  I can see the actual file on the windows computer.  When I click print file it prints a blank sheet. I created to database on my mac and the computers up at work are all Windows computers.

Any advice on the records showing?

Thank you

• 3. Re: 2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows
              SteveMartino

What happens if, on your open script, you disable the last 2 steps (Sort Records & Go To Record [First]? Or even just the last step?

• 4. Re: 2 issues with filemaker on mac and filemaker in Windows
                philmodjunk

What exactly are you clicking when you "click print file"?

There's a known issue when printing a layout where a PDF on the layout is inserted into an interactive container field. Not sure if that is the scenario here or not.

Note that external storage is not the only way that a file can turn up missing in a container field. It might also have been inserted with the "store a reference" option specified. But that does not seem to be the case here given that you can see the file in the container field.