3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 7:46 AM by mcg_

2nd related db locks up intermittantly (Lion

Title

2nd related db locks up intermittantly (Lion & FMP 11v4)

We have about 6 related databases that we use together to manage customer relationships.

The 2 files that we access the most are 'Clients' and 'Invoices'.

For the last few years we have been hosting these files on FMS 8 (G5 tower)

We have just upgraded to 2 new machines & Lion (& FMP11v4) and we are no longer hosting the database files on FMS 8.

The files are now hosted localy on an iMac which see's the bulk of daily use, and the files are occasionally accessed via sharing from the second iMac.

I have updated all the exteranal file relationship paths and the data bases now interact the same as they did on the server.

i.e when in a client record you can search for that client's invoices and the 'invoices' file becomes the front window and the related records are found, you can then browse each of those records.

For converience FMP is left running all day, and these 2 files are left open all day also.

(I've got ChronoSync quiting FMP every night, copying the files and then relaunching FMP - to replicate the backup that FMS used to do)

----------------

The problem:

----------------

With regularity, when a new client record is visited, and then the clients invoices searched for, the 'Invoices' file becomes innacessible (doesn't present to the front)

If you go up to the 'Window' menu and bring the 'Invoices' file to the front the search has found the related records but they are also innaccessible. (you can't click / browse the record, it gives you the warning sound)

So far the only way we have found to progress is to restart FMP and start fresh.

---------------

It's very odd because this function is normally working fine (when the records are being browsed with frequency) then after a period of time (innactivity?) the invoices file seems to change it's state.

I've looked for a time-out type setting etc but this is the only thing I can think of.

We do have the other (annoying) issue that the Firewall doesn't save FMP rules and requests that we "Allow access" everytime we launch FMP, maybe it is interfering with access to the invoices file after a period of time.

It does seem to executing the find, it's the browse (switched back by the script) that become unresponsive.

This is a productivity killer, really need to squash this one.

thanks

• 1. Re: 2nd related db locks up intermittantly (Lion & FMP 11v4)
          Sorbsbuster

I can't be of much help here, but I would start with restoring a backup from a long time ago, and running that to see if it causes the same problem.  Yes, I recognise that is a pain to test as your problem is intermittent.

If that removes the problem I would use a clone of that file and import all the current data, and try again.

If the file freezes and you re-start (or whatever) and re-do the exact actions that saw the freeze, will it freeze again?  You may have a duff record.

What happens if you host the file on the other iMac (to try and remove a hardware issue)?

What happens if you don't use the guest access for a few days?

You could write a test script which cycles through each Client record, does the find of invoices, and moves on to the next Client.  You could write a log to a text field and see if it always freezes at the same client or invoice.  You could run the script from the Host and the Guest computer.

If your network is protected from the outside world by a firewall in your router (for example) then the internal firewall on the workstations are protecting themselves from each other (and the other workstations internal to your network) so you may deem it acceptable to turn them off for the period of a trial.

• 2. Re: 2nd related db locks up intermittantly (Lion & FMP 11v4)
            philmodjunk

and the files are occasionally accessed via sharing from the second iMac.

If by "sharing" you are navigating directly to the file on a shared directory and opening it, don't do that. This can damage your file and such damage could explain the issues you are having here. (Other options are possibile, but hard to diagnose at a distance.)

You should only access a hosted database by first opening the file on the machine that hosts the file and others should then use Open Remote only, to access the database.

• 3. Re: 2nd related db locks up intermittantly (Lion & FMP 11v4)

@PhilModJunk

Thanks for your response, yep I've been using Open Remote to access the files from the second machine, I wasn't using the exact client terminology.

@ Sorbsbuster

Thanks for your suggestions, there's definitely food for thought there and I'll plan it into the contingency.

It hasn't happened today, so we'll have to monitor it closely and see if any distinct patterns emerge.

I don't think it was the same record each time it's happened, though I hope it is because that would be an easy fix.

I'm not sure it's the firewall interupting the invoices file bcause it's executing the find script from the clients db ok - it's the browse that seems to be locked, though I wouldn't discount it just yet and it's worth testing.

Testing older versions of the files is the last option because it's a tough project to try and simulate the problem in actual use, over a period of days.

I'm not up to speed on the export/import of data, there's about 6 tables in each, I'd have to prepare for that, but it could iron out the issue.

I'll report back, hopefully with something definitive.

cheers