2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 11:28 AM by Pstone

? Can you via a calculation field, assign a 'holder' field on the screen to another field.

Pstone

Title

? Can you via a calculation field, assign a 'holder' field on the screen to another field.

I have a need to create the following scenario:

Three fields are called "1LIST", "2LIST" and "3LIST". Each of these are setup as a Drop Down List pointing to a corresponding named "1list", "2list" and "3list" list of names along with being checked as "editable" by the user. These are not on the layout.

One field in the layout is called "MASTER LIST" and has a managed list of 3 choices in a radio box format, say "1", "2", and "3"

Below that is a field is another field that we'll use as a placeholder called "TEMP". This is simply a place holder and is a calculation that says if the field above is "1", then...

...and here is what I want to accomplish: display the field "xLIST".

So if radio button #1 is chosen, below will display the field 1LIST AND that list should be editable by clicking on it just as if you were to literally use the actual 1LIST field.

Right now, the field being used to do the calculation trumps editing. I can tell it to: "Case (MASTER LIST= "1";1LIST;MASTER LIST= "2";2LIST;MASTER LIST= "3";3LIST) but that just displays what in 1LIST, 2LIST or 3LIST and offers no actual list editing obviously because that TEMP placeholder, even though you can tell it that it's a DROP DOWN Editable list, has no way to allow let's say WHICH Value-List to point to via a Calculation (which is what I would really want)... or does it?

Anyways, there's probably an easier way of doing this but this seemed to be the path of least resistance given the Calculation function seeminly should have the power to do this?

Peter

• 1. Re: ? Can you via a calculation field, assign a 'holder' field on the screen to another field.
          philmodjunk

You can get the results you want, but not by using the exact features you are trying to use.

Instead of custom values, place each list of values in a separate table where one record = 1 value. Put all the values from all three lists in this one table. Use a second field to identify whether the record is a list1, list2 or list3 value. Given your description, make this a number field with 1, 2 or 3 in it. Let's call the value field "Value" and the list membership field "ListID".

Now you can use a concept called a "conditional value list" to select a specific group of values.

Define a relationship linking MainTable :: Master List = ValueTable :: ListID

Now you can define a value list to specify the "value" field in ValueTable. At the bottom of this dialog select the show only related values starting in... and specify your "MainTable" in the pop up.

Now you can select a set of values by clicking 1, 2 or 3 in the radio button formatted Master List field.

To edit these values, place an "edit" button on your layout that takes the user to a layout that displays the values and allows them to edit them. You could even pop these values up in a new window to more closely mimic the behavior of the Edit option for custom value lists.

• 2. Re: ? Can you via a calculation field, assign a 'holder' field on the screen to another field.
            Pstone
               Awesome idea - I'll give it a whirl tonight! Thanks Phil!