2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 3:53 PM by jebber6685

@ Find Operator Question

jebber6685

Title

@ Find Operator Question

Hello,

I have a DB with about 3500 fields. I want find all records that have an email in the "email" field AND the record was created after 1/1/05.

So I put " @ " find operator in the email field ( to find any record with any charactor in the field ) and I also put ">1/1/05" in the Creation Date field. I would think this would return all records with emails created after 1/1/05. However, it only returns 7 records when I know for a fact that there are hundreds. What could be wrong with my search method?

Also, please note that the email field where the @ is placed is a portal from my Contacts database residing in my Accounts DB and the Creation Date field resides on my Accounts DB.

I have FMPro Advanced 10.0 v3 & OS - Windows Vista

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jeff

• 1. Re: @ Find Operator Question
          philmodjunk

@ is one of a series of "find operators" that serve a special purpose in  find. To get such a character to be treated as just that character, enclose it in quots. Since @ is in the middle of the text, I'd use:

*"@"*

To find all records where that field contains the at symbol.

• 2. Re: @ Find Operator Question
            jebber6685

Phil,

Thanks for the input. I have solved the problem. I was not clear on the * Find Operator. FM describes this operator as "Zero or more characters". I could not understand this description since Zero or more would return everything.

Anyways, it appears that the "*" operator does work for what I am trying to do. That is find all records with ANY characters in that field.

Jeff