5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 12:52 AM by thumper

a couple letters and their meanings.

thumper

Title

a couple letters and their meanings.

im confused with a couple letters i have seen over the past few weeks when placed in fields, such as:

c_
      _kf
      __kp

i know "g" stands for global but the others im just curious about, anyone able to shed some light?

• 1. Re: a couple letters and their meanings.
          davidanders

A database you created or a template?

These letters are in browse or layout? 

• 2. Re: a couple letters and their meanings.
            thumper
               these are just some examples of what i have seen in example files i have studied, these are the names of the fields in the table, viewing these from the database manager...
            • 3. Re: a couple letters and their meanings.
              davidanders

Oh.  Many developers and users advocate using random prefixes to designate global fields, db navigation fields, and other types of specialized fields. Some get carried away with cryptomanic labels.

I name fields like firstname, lastname, middleinitial - NameFirst, NameLast, and NameMiddle, but that's just me.

This way looking at fields in an alphabetical listing, all the name fields are together, all the address fields are together. 

• 4. Re: a couple letters and their meanings.
                LaRetta_1

c_
                _kf
                __kp

These are pretty standard naming convensions ...

c_ (means calculation)

_kf (means key, foreign)

__kp (means key, primary)

The purpose of the double underscore is so that the primary key sorts to the top and the single underscore (all possible foreign keys) sort right under primary and at the top.

Many developers also use:

zzc_ for calcs

zzg_ for globals etc ... so that all developer fields pop to the bottom.

Also, if a field MUST be indexed, the field name can be ended with _x.  Standard fields are named as they should be, without the prefix or suffix.  When viewing field names throughout FileMaker, we have not been provided a way to hover (as tooltip) and easily know the properties and purpose of the field so we must create our own standards.:smileyhappy:

• 5. Re: a couple letters and their meanings.
                  thumper

LaRetta,

Thanks a bunch, that really helps explain things much better.