5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 2:19 PM by dmorgan

A couple of printing questions

dmorgan

Title

A couple of printing questions

I have a rather complex database that I need to print some business card sized place holder cards and to also print some info on slides.

Problem 1 the place holder cards uses Avery template 5871 to print out business card size cards. 

Showing client id and run a logo and company info, all of which is working just fine these get printed in a batch of 6 to fill the Avery template. The problem is sometimes there needs to be duplicates of the card but I haven't really figure out a way to duplicate the card records just long enough to print a duplicate. 

Is there an easy way to duplicate a record just for printing?

Problem 2 slide printing

We have a custom printer that takes a large print 24" x 12" document, each slide is a certain size 2" x 3" being most common. What is being printed is a label at the bottom of each slide set up in a 12 across and 4 rows with the slides in portrait for the normal run. 

The text will be a set width and height to fit on each slide at the bottom of the individual slide. The label text would change after a set number of slides. 

I was thinking layouts for each slide size similar to seedcodes or ninjacal's calendar with each "day" being a slide and having a fixed size on the layout then the label is just a text field that starts at "day" 1 fills x number of repetitions, then x number with the next label until there are no more to do or the print field is full and would have the option to then start on the next "month" which would be.

I guess I'm asking more if this sounds like the best way to do this, and also I think the code to do a calendar like this is open source I've seen examples for filemaker 10 and 11 but I haven't seen it easily explained in code for 12. If anyone has a link to tutorials in 12 I would greatly appreciate it.

• 1. Re: A couple of printing questions
          philmodjunk

Problem 1

One option is to set up a second table for printing labels linked in a relationship to your current table like this:

CurrentTable::__pkCurrentTableID = Labels::_fkCurrentTableID

You can base your labels layout on Labels instead of your current table, but add the fields from your Current table to this layout.

You can then create as many records as you need for label printing and can assign the ID value from your current value to the _fk field in the Labels table to get many different types of print jobs printed. You could assign the _fk field of all 6 records to the same ID in your current table to print 6 identical copies of the same information. Or you can assign some records to one ID and others to a different ID to "mix and match" as needed. The creation of records in the Labels table and linking them to records in your current table can be done one record at a time by hand or via a script where you specify a certain number of business cards for a given record in your current table and click a button to make it happen.

Problem 2

Have you considered setting up a custom labels layout for these slides? It sounds like much the same layout that you'd use for printing a sheet of layouts but on a larger format so this is an option you could try that would be much less complex than adapting a calendar type layout to it.

• 2. Re: A couple of printing questions
            davidanders

Back in the day, Printing labels starting at the 4th label position on a partially used sheet - lead to creating a table that would copy, set the records that would print. Three blank records that would sort to the top would skip the first three label positions.

The same sort of thing would allow duplicates of some or all of the found record set.

• 3. Re: A couple of printing questions
              dmorgan

Thank you,

Sounds like at least 1 new table just for printing is in my future, I plan to redo how our paperwork prints in the near future anyway.

I will look at the custom labels it probably will be easier. Does anyone know of a good tutorial based in FM12 on a calendar like that its very elegant code and I can't really see how it's built from seedcode's calendar.

• 4. Re: A couple of printing questions
                philmodjunk

SeedCode's is very impressive, but it takes a lot of analysis to figure out. You might make more progress figuring out this simple calendar demo with a lot fewer moving parts (It was created in Filemaker 11, but stuff that works in FileMaker 10 and and 11 still works in 12...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8d03xvwe8vtz85/Calendar.fp7

You can Launch FileMaker and use Open from the File menu to open this file and get a copy converted to .fmp12 use.

• 5. Re: A couple of printing questions
                  dmorgan

Thanks again Phil,

Just the kind of thing I was looking for.