3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

A Find request doesn't clear after returning to all records

RKINY

Title

A Find request doesn't clear after returning to all records

We recently updated our photo database from FM 8 to 11. At various times we have opened a table only to see information from an earlier found set instead of all the records. We'll enter Control J, perform new finds, close the table, open it  and again find the same earlier found set. It is a simple database. I don't think we are using any scripts. How can I fix things so all prior find requests are cleared after we enter the show all records command? I understand there is now a way of saving finds and thought somehow we had done so mistakenly however there are none listed. FYI, I have a very small understanding of FM 7 and 8 and ask that ask that any response to my question be as simple as possible. Thank you.

• 1. Re: A Find request doesn't clear after returning to all records
          philmodjunk

Sounds like this is a database that is hosted over a network and you are using Open Remote to access the database. The found sets produced when you connect to the database this way are not retained. If you take the file down off the server, open it directly, show all records and then put the file back up on the server, the found set of all records will now become the found set you first see before performing a find to change it.

With Filemaker 11, you can also set up a script that does the show all records each time you first access that layout. This would need careful work to keep it from ching to all records when you don't want it to, but such could be set up if you want to write a script for it.

• 2. Re: A Find request doesn't clear after returning to all records
            RKINY

Thanks, Phil, for responding. I appreciate it. The database isn't on a network. I update the records on my computer (still using FM 8) and copy the updated tables to my client's computer who just upgraded to FM 11. She doesn't make any changes but rather uses it as a historical record and it was after one of her find requests that the request didn't clear. R

• 3. Re: A Find request doesn't clear after returning to all records
              philmodjunk

Perhaps I am misundertanding what you mean by "close the table", since you don't close tables in FileMaker, you close files and windows. I've assumed you meant that you closed the file.

Can you describe what the user is doing when this happens in more detail?