5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 5:12 PM by spnDesigns

A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages

spnDesigns

Title

A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages

Greetings and salutations! 

Below each contact, I want a freestyle Notes field that I can list next client steps, consultant notes, even paste email correspondence, etc.  I will likely keep new entries on top and date stamp them.

I want to be able to "see" all that I have there at-a-glance (not a scroll box).

But by making it long, it also makes an extra page print out even when there is no text.

Is there a way to have a Notes box that is on one page, but that will expand longer as needed? As in spill to the next page when and only when needed? 

• 1. Re: A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages
          Orlando

Hi spnDesigns

You can expand the notes box to be as long as you would like it to be on the screen, and by using Sliding and Printing settings you can have this reduce when the layout is being printed.

In layout mode, click on your text field and go Format > Set Sliding/Printing...

When the Set Sliding/Printing dialog pops-up tick 'Sliding up based on' and 'Also reduce the size of the enclosing part'

Now when you print that field and the part of the layout will reduce to the amount of text, or other objects on the layout.

Another option, if you are using FileMaker Pro 9, is to use Autoresize on that layout object to have it expand with the size of your window. Select View > Object Info and at the bottom of your Object Info panel there are anchors, anchor the text field to the bottom and as long as its at the bottom of the layout, and the part does not extend past your screen size, it will expand with your window.

I hope one of these does the trick for you. 

• 2. Re: A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages
            spnDesigns

Hi there

I think we're on the right track but here's the outcome.

With setting the  printing/sliding/setting as outlined, it does, in fact, shrink or expand to print only what is there, seemingly printing the long notes on a second page.

But if it is short, then the next record starts printing right after the end notes, at the bottom of that same page, instead of starting at the top of its own page.

Is there a way to set something so that every record will start printing at the top of its own page?

If the notes are very long, I'm okay with them printing on an extra page.   

Thanks for more suggestions.

spnDesign 

• 3. Re: A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages
              davidhead

OK, so in addition to the sliding you have set up, you also need to change the options for the Body part of the layout.

In Layout mode, double-click the Body part tag to open the Part Definition dialog. Click to turn on the option "Page break before each occurrence".

That should do it for you. 

• 4. Re: A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages
                spnDesigns

Hey, I think I figured it out!

With your first solution, the only other thing I needed to do was to go to Layout --> part setup and choose <body> and click "change" and in the dialog box make sure the following were checked:

/  page break after every <1> occurence

/  allow part to break across page boundaries 

• 5. Re: A long notes field - making it print only when text is there; don't want to print blank pages
                  spnDesigns

Hey, you guys are fast! :)

I really appreciate it.

Not sure what gremlin I still have in there - but only the "page break after every <1> occurrence" did the trick.  I still had records starting too soon (on the bottom of another record) when I did the page break ~before~ each occurrence.

No doubt operator error on my end.  Hard to know what you don't know!

Anyway, thanks for participating and making this a great forum! No doubt I'll be back to try to soak up some more answers sometime.

spnDesigns