6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 10:48 PM by KhaliMartin

A Novice Nightmare

KhaliMartin

Title

A Novice Nightmare

Hi

Can anyone help? I am quite new to this so the simpler the solution the better.

I have 5 fields that can have a currency value: Costs A, Costs B, Costs C, Costs D, Costs E

I also have a field called Total Other Costs.

I am trying to populate another 5 fields so that

1.           if Costs B to E are blank 100% of Total Other Costs is added to Costs A
      3.           If Costs C to E are blank 50% of Total Other Costs is added to Costs A to Costs B
      5.           if Costs D to E are blank 33.33% of Total Other Costs is added to Coast A to Costs C
      7.           If Costs E is blank 25% of Total Other Costs is added to Cost A to D
      9.           if Costs A to E are filled then 20% of Total Other Costs is added to all

Many thanks in advance.

Khali

• 1. Re: A Novice Nightmare
          SteveMartino

This seems like a very complicated design.  What if your business model changes?  You will have to go back and change all the percentages, or if you have more then 5 fields.  If you could explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish, it would help.

Also, why 5 additional fields?  Seems like (to me) you have five cost fields, and a miscellaneous cost field.  Then you want another cost field that acts as some kind of way to add a premium to the original cost field.

Where do the initial values come from for Costs A-E?

As an example, lets say you have 5 costs fields

Costs A:  $500.00

Costs B:  $400.00

Costs C:  $300.00

Costs D & E are empty

Total Other Costs: $600.00.  In your post, The total calculated costs should be: $1200.00 (A,B,C) + $200.00 (33.33% of Total Other Costs) which = $1400.00.  Do you need to have A, B, C, now adjusted, or Total Other Costs adjusted?

Where/how do you want that shown? On an invoice, etc.?  Do you have a sample file or layout that could provide more detail?

I think if you can describe exactly what you going for, others can help a little better.

• 2. Re: A Novice Nightmare
            KhaliMartin

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am trying to format estimating for paint finishes. When the estimate is printed, I want to show the breakdown of each item as well as the total.

I hope this screen shot helps

Khali

• 3. Re: A Novice Nightmare
              KhaliMartin

Attaching this time, sorry

• 4. Re: A Novice Nightmare
                SteveMartino

Is this on the right track?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71328624/AdjustedFields.zip

Im sure someone with more experience will have a simpler way.

edit:  fixed link

• 5. Re: A Novice Nightmare
                  philmodjunk

I am trying to format estimating for paint finishes. When the estimate is printed, I want to show the breakdown of each item as well as the total.

Have you looked at the Estimates starter solution that comes with FileMaker 13? Even if you can't use it "out of the box", it may be a useful source of ideas. In particular, the way that it uses a portal to a related table to list each item (your break down) that contributes to the total cost of the estimate.

• 6. Re: A Novice Nightmare
                    KhaliMartin

So many thanks Steve. Although it didn't quite match but so nearly there and pointed me in the right direction. After some fine tuning yesterday, it now functions exactly as I needed it to. Thank you again for being so generous with your time and expertise.