AnsweredAssumed Answered

A possible solution to Filemaker printing problems

Question asked by RickWhitelaw on Feb 9, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 by RickWhitelaw

Title

A possible solution to Filemaker printing problems

Hi,

I've been working to get around what I find to be a problem in Filemaker: scripting printing is convenient and simple, but the "Print" script step involves printer selection. The printer selection then becomes "hard-coded" in a given solution. When it's used on another computer with different printers the print scripts are no longer functional. 

I'm a Mac user (10.6.2) and nearly certain this will work only on a Mac. As well, I've tried it out on only three printers . . . swapping jobs between them. 

Error trapping is not implemented in the scripts yet.

I'm a complete newbie as far as command line scripting is concerned, and the shell scripts below likely need more work, but they function.

One final caveat: in the process of exploring various OS commands, I had to re-install the driver for one  printer. I don't believe any of the scripts below caused this.

The basic idea: rather than scripting printer selection, script the "task". Users Assign printers to particular tasks in a preferences table. The Printer Preferences layout is  available via the menu in the event a user connects a new printer or disconnects one. If there's only one printer, the same printer name can be entered for all tasks. 

Create a table, I call it PRINT_PREFS. I have a table called "User_Prefs" which stores info about the user. One way or the other, this table relates to virtually all tables in the solution, so I relate PRINT_PREFS to it and allow the creation of records by the User table. In this table are a Key field, plus a global text field for each anticipated printing task, i.e General, Forms/Cheques, Color, Envelopes and Labels which accept printer names. (Auto-enter calculation:  Substitute ( Self; [" " ; "_" ];["-";"_"]) to format as Unix compliant). As well, three global text fields: Color_Duplex, General_Duplex and Forms_Duplex. These three fields are either "Yes" or " " (blank). The user chooses "Yes" if the printer supports double-sided printing. This is used in a variable in the third script below. There are two other fields (text) presented as yes/no checkbox sets. In one the user decides whether or not to view standard print dialogs. If the user chooses "yes" all the print scripts will send him/her to the standard print dialog and exit the script (not implemented below). The other "yes/no" asks whether there are multiple printers connected. If "no" is selected, the remaining "task" fields will be populated by the General Printer name, a field which is not allowed to be empty(not implemented below).

The user clicks a button to run the following script:

Terminal printer Choosing

Perform AppleScript [ Native AppleScript: tell application "Terminal" do script ("lpstat -a") end ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Enter the names of your Printers"; Message: "Enter the printer names or or copy/paste them from the Terminal window. Press More to assign Envelopes and Labels. You can assign a printer to more than 1 task. Press done when finished."; Buttons: “Done”, “More”; Input #1: PRINT_PREFS:: Printer_General, "General purpose Printer"; Input #2: PRINT_PREFS::  Printer_Forms_Cheques, "Cheques/Forms Printer"; Input #3: PRINT_PREFS:: Printer_Color, "Color Printer" ]

If [ Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 2 ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Room for only two more printers."; Message: "Please enter the remaining printer names and press Done when finished."; Buttons: “Done”; Input #1: PRINT_PREFS:: Printer_Labels, "Label Printer"; Input #2: PRINT_PREFS::  Printer_Envelopes, "Envelope printer" ]

End If Commit Records/Requests

[ No dialog ]

Perform AppleScript [ Native AppleScript: tell application "Terminal" quit end ]

Having Terminal display the printer names allows for the exact spelling (as seen by the OS) to be used. NOTE: the printers must already be set up in System Preferences for the OS or Terminal to "see" them.

Here's a script that prints a contract form. Since pages 2-5 are basically portals and of fixed length, it's safe to hard-code the possible number of records per page. The Print Setup step, now that I look, is unnecessary because it's handled later by the shell script.

PRINT_CONTRACT

Go to Layout [ “CONTRACTS_INPUT” (CONTRACTS) ]

# To check certain field content before printing. 

If [ IsEmpty ( CONTRACTS:: Fee_Agreed_Upon ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "No Payroll!"; Message: "No payroll has been compiled for this engagement. Printing will now stop. Please create a payroll then print again."; Buttons: “OK” ]

Exit Script [ ] 

End If

If [ IsEmpty ( Purpose:: PURPOSE ) or IsEmpty ( TIMES:: HOURS_PERFORMANCE ) or IsEmpty ( DATE_SIGN_PAY::  Payment_DATE ) or IsEmpty ( DATE_SIGN_PAY:: Date_signed ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Missing information"; Message: "Some important fields are missing data. Please make sure all necessary fields are filled. Press return when finished."; Buttons: “OK” ]

Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ] 

End If

# The layout is a 6 page contract. Page 1 and 2 are always printed. Page 6 is always printed. All 6 pages would be printed only if 55 - 72 names were involved.

Go to Layout [ “TMA Contract Print Complete” (CONTRACTS) ]

# The records on this layout are all in portals of the same related table. (1-18,19-36 etc.)

Print Setup [ Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore; No dialog ]

#Set the printer assigned to this "task" by the User in Preferences.

Set Variable [ $PRINTER; Value: PRINTERS:: Printer_General ] 

#Set the PAGES variable to ranges of pages to be printed depending on how many people are on the Contract.

If [ Production Info::NUM_PLAYERS ≤ 18 ]

Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1,2,6" ] 

Else If [ Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS > 18 and Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS ≤ 36 ]

Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1-3,6" ]

Else If [ Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS > 36 and Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS ≤ 54 ]

Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1-4,6" ]

Else If [ Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS > 54 and Production Info:: NUM_PLAYERS ≤ 72 ]

Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1-6" ] 

End If

#Save the job to a temporary PDF file on the Desktop.

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:../../../Desktop/contemp.pdf”; Current record ] [ Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 5 and later ] [ Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ] [ Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

# Print the PDF two-sided in portrait orientation to Letter size paper, one copy, double-sided with the correct page ranges, then delete the PDF.

Perform AppleScript [ Calculated AppleScript: "do shell script" &" "& "("&Quote("lpr"&" "&"-P"&$PRINTER&" "&"-o" &" "& "sides=two- sided-long-edge"&" "& "-o" &" "& "media=letter" &" "&"-o"&" "&"page-ranges="&$PAGES&" "&"-o"&" "&"orientation-requested=3"& " "& "-#1"&" "&"~/Desktop/contemp.pdf"&" "&" " &"-r")&")" ]

Go to Layout [ “CONTRACTS_INPUT” (CONTRACTS) ]

Here's a similar script. The main difference is that it prints a List View Layout. The Print Setup step IS necessary in this one to set the page orientation to capture the number of pages to set "$PAGES" before sending the print job. The disabled step works but depends on the body of the layout NEVER changing in size. I don't recommend it.

Print: Print_AppSubs

Go to Layout [ “Approved Subs” (SUB_APPROVAL) ]

# Set the page orientation for the PDF and for the upcoming page count:

Print Setup [ Orientation: Landscape; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore; No dialog ]

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:../../../Desktop/appstemp.pdf”; Records being browsed ] [ Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 5 and later ] [ Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ] [ Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

# The layout being printed is in List View, hence:

Enter Preview Mode

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Last ]

Set Variable [ $LPAGE; Value:Get ( PageNumber ) ]

# The following disabled step would set the page-range but is less flexible.

// Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1-"& If ( Mod (Get ( FoundCount ); 19 > 0 );Truncate ( (Get ( FoundCount ) / 19) + 1 ; 0 );Get ( FoundCount ) / 19 ) ]

# Set the page-ranges variable for the shell script:

Set Variable [ $PAGES; Value:"1-"& $LPAGE ]

Enter Browse Mode 

# Tell the shell script which printer to use: 

Set Variable [ $PRINTER; Value: PRINT_PREFS:: Printer_General ] 

# To set one or two sided printing in the shell script:

Set Variable [ $DUPLEX; Value:If ( PRINT_PREFS:: General_Duplex = "YES";"two-sided-long-edge";"one-sided" ) ]

# Print page range with options, two-sided-long-edge to be bound landscape, and delete the PDF:

Perform AppleScript [ Calculated AppleScript: "do shell script" &" "& "("&Quote("lpr"&" "&"-P"&" "&$PRINTER&" "&"-o" &" "&"sides="& $DUPLEX&" "& "-o" &" "& "media=letter" &" "&"-o"&" "&"orientation-requested=4"& " "& "-#1"&" "&"-o"&" "&"page-ranges="& $PAGES&" "&"~/Desktop/appstemp.pdf"&" "&" " &"-r")&")" ]

This system has a long way to go but begins to solve print scripting problems by making the scripts mobile and doesn't require a plugin. 

RW.

Edit: spaces added to prevent emoticons 

Outcomes