AnsweredAssumed Answered

A question about averages and percentages

Question asked by Stu412 on Feb 17, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

A question about averages and percentages

Hi there

I have a simple demo I'm working on in order to understand how FM works with averages and percentages.  I have set this up with seven customers, each have sales, costs and a percent of costs to sales.

In addition, each customer is part of either North, South, East or West.  I have filtered portals so that only the relevant customers appear in a compass point portal, along with their percentage of costs to sales.

What I want to do is take an average of the percentages.  What's happening is that FM is taking the figures overall, and then averaging them, rather than average(PercentSumField), so in the case of two customers, one having 80%, one having 90%, the average is 88% and not 85%.  

The 88% is due to the fact that FM is combining both customers' sales and costs FIRST, and then averaging the results, despite my asking it to average on the percent results.

I'm certain there's a perfectly logical reason it does this, but that doesn't alter the fact I want 85% as my result as opposed to 88%, which may technically be correct, but for the purposes I need it, is completely wrong!

Thanks

Outcomes