6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 2:21 PM by storywizard

A schedule

storywizard

Title

A schedule

<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

I need a schedule for volunteers.

The database I have built is for a production unit making audio recordings for blind and learning disabled students at a major university. The management want to have a better idea of how many hours per week each of the sound recording booths are being used and why and when volunteers do not show up. There is a personell table that has all of the volunteer information on it. This table is linked to a production schedule which lists in a portal all of the tasks that go into producing a text.Other tables have text title information and info about the students...

I can imagine a table with each booth as a field,  but then how would I then go about constructing the rest of the table to produce the information I need?

We have eight sound booths

The hours of operation  are from 8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday

The volunteers work 2 hour shifts

They are inconsistant with start times, some start on the hour, some at the mid point.

We need to have a name field.

We need to show the shift that the volunteer has signed up for.

We need to show if they are on vacation.

We need to show if they do not show up for a shift and did not let us know.

We need to show when a prospective volunteer is doing an audition.

We need to show when a volunteer is doing a “drop-in” shift.

I hope someone can help me here, lol…

Storywizard

• 1. Re: A schedule
          philmodjunk

First of all, make each Booth a separate record rather than different fields in the same record. This will give you eight records in a "booths" table and make it easier to report total usage reports broken down by booth if you want. Other types of reports will also be easier to construct.

Tables:

Personnel

PersPK

PersName

(Any Contact Info fields you need)

Booths

BoothPK

(If there are any differences between one booth and another, you can add fields to document the differences)

Schedule

SchedPK

SchedDate

Shift

StartTime

StopTime

Schedule_Pers (Join Table)

PersFK

BoothFK

SchedFK

(Add fields to document that specific session such as: )

TimeArrived

TimeLeft

Result (Completed, Canceled, No Show...)

Type (Regular, Audition,.....)

Create relationships linking tables by matching PK (primary key, auto-entered serial number) fields with FK (Foreign key, number) fields of the same name. The Schedule_Pers table will be your main work table first for scheduling personnel and then logging the session results. The Schedule table will function as a calendar where you can control what shifts exist for each day.

If all recording booths are exactly alike, you may be able to simply use a value list of Booth numbers instead of a related table.

• 2. Re: A schedule
            storywizard

I will give that a go, thanks...

Storywizard

• 3. Re: A schedule
              storywizard

ummm.

Ok, after sitting down and looking at this I realised I do not understand the first part of the solution.

<!--   [if gte mso 9]&amp;gt;&amp;lt;xml&amp;gt; &amp;lt;w:WordDocument&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:View&amp;gt;Normal&amp;lt;/w:View&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:Zoom&amp;gt;0&amp;lt;/w:Zoom&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&amp;gt;false&amp;lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&amp;gt;false&amp;lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&amp;gt;false&amp;lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:Compatibility&amp;gt;    &amp;lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&amp;gt;    &amp;lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&amp;gt;    &amp;lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&amp;gt;    &amp;lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&amp;gt;    &amp;lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;/w:Compatibility&amp;gt;   &amp;lt;w:BrowserLevel&amp;gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&amp;lt;/w:BrowserLevel&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/w:WordDocument&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/xml&amp;gt;&amp;lt;![endif]   --><!--   [if gte mso 9]&amp;gt;&amp;lt;xml&amp;gt; &amp;lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&amp;quot;false&amp;quot; LatentStyleCount=&amp;quot;156&amp;quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/w:LatentStyles&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/xml&amp;gt;&amp;lt;![endif]   --><!--   /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;;} p      {mso-margin-top-alt:auto;      margin-right:0in;      mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;      margin-left:0in;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}    --><!--   [if gte mso 10]&amp;gt; &amp;lt;style&amp;gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&amp;quot;Table Normal&amp;quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&amp;quot;&amp;quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &amp;lt;/style&amp;gt; &amp;lt;![endif]   -->

"First of all, make each Booth a separate record rather than different fields in the same record.This will give you eight records in a "booths" table" 

I am not sure that I get that. Do you mean layouts made from the "booth" table?I understand the rest of the solution, that makes sense to me, I thought records were produced in each layout. This is probably new user confusion...can you explain it another way for me?

I really appreciate the help and will plug away at it tomorrow..

all the best, 

Storywizard

• 4. Re: A schedule
                philmodjunk

It depends on what you need to put in your database. At the end of my original response, I noted that this table may not be needed at all.

What I was responding to was your statement that you were planning on creating a separate field for each Booth. This seems unecessary. If you need to record information unique to a given recording booth (maybe one is larger than the other or has different equipment, or...) then a table of booth records might be useful. Everywhere else in the system, I'd use simply a booth number or name to identify the assigned booth.

• 5. Re: A schedule
                  storywizard

ahhh, thanks, that makes sense...I will continue..

thanks again, I really appreciate the help..

Storywizard

• 6. Re: A schedule
                    storywizard

Hello:

finally got some time to work on this...

the problem is the folks that will be using it want it to look like a calendar. So I imagined using a portal for each booth...eight portals on a layout...

I have set up three tables: Personnel( I am using a copy of the personnel table in the large production database that the schedule is part of)

: Schedule Personnel(JoinTable)

: Schedule

I tried to build a layout from the Personnel table using fields from the joinTable. I wanted a portal for each booth, there are eight,on each record,  and each record would be a day of the week. I also wanted to have the records so they would automatically show record number = 5 Nov 2009 etc...

I have the sense this is not going to work...

any suggestions..

Storywizard