9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 4:24 PM by Svetlana

A script to display limited records

Svetlana

Title

A script to display limited records

Hi everyone,

I am trying to write a script for a button to display records with a date entered in a date field that is 14 days away from current date. I am a total newbie so I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you :)

• 1. Re: A script to display limited records
          philmodjunk

I will read that as records with a date that is 14 days in the future.

Get ( currentDate ) + 14

will compute a date 14 days in the future.

That could be part of a find in a date range, with an inequality operator or just by itself depending on what results you want from your find.

Here is a thread with multiple scripted find examples you can look at to see how this can work: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: A script to display limited records
            Svetlana

Thank you so much for the quick response! I'll use that as a guideline and if I have further questions I'll let you know.

• 3. Re: A script to display limited records
              Svetlana

All that worked perfectly, thanks again so much!

I was having an issue with modifying the script to display records with a date field whose date is  ≤ 14 days in the future

Get ( CurrentDate )  ≤ 14 is what I used for the expression, and it didn't work.

• 4. Re: A script to display limited records
                philmodjunk

If you are using a set field step to specify find criteria in a scripted find, you'd use:

Set Field [ YourTable::YourdateField ; "<" & Get ( currentDate ) + 14]

to find all records with dates older than 14 days in the future.

• 5. Re: A script to display limited records
                  Svetlana

Thank you so much for your patience with my vague explanations. You guessed correctly- I was using a set field step to specify find criteria in this scripted find. Below is the script I got using the scripted find examples you provided. Everything worked perfectly when I had the set field step as: Set Field [Logistics::Start Ship Date; Get ( CurrentDate ) + 14]; however, once I changed it to: Set Field [ YourTable::YourdateField ; "<" & Get ( currentDate ) + 14] , it no longer worked properly. I realize that there might be an error with the If/End If step, but I need some guidance on how to fix that if that is the error causing the script to not run properly.

Go to Layout ["Log1" (Logistics)]
                       Enter Find Mode []
                       Set Field [Logistics::Start Ship Date; "≤" & Get ( CurrentDate ) + 14]
                       Set Error Capture [On]
                       Perform Find []
                       If [not Logistics::Start Ship Date ≤ Get ( CurrentDate ) + 14 // no records were found ]
                        Show Custom Dialog ["ERROR"; "No Records were found by this search."]
                       End if

• 6. Re: A script to display limited records
                    philmodjunk

How exactly does it fail to work? Do you get no records found or the incorrect records found?

Since specifying Get ( CurrentDate ) + 14 works for you, I suspect that it is actually working but not producing the results you wanted.

If  today is 3/1/2013 you had these dates in the Start Ship Date field:

3 / 17 / 2013
                         3 / 16 / 2013
                    3/  15 / 2013
                         3/14/2013
                         3/ 1 /2013
                         2/25/2013
                         1/1/1900

Any records with the dates shown in blue would be found as these are all records whith a date that is 3/15/2013 or less.

• 7. Re: A script to display limited records
                      Svetlana

I get no results found (the Show Custom Dialog step creates the dialog box with the error message).  I even entered test records with the start ship date field set to some of the dates that should work and it did not.

And my apologies... I made a mistake when explaining the range of dates I needed to include. It should be 14 days in the future from the current date or earlier, but not  before the current date. Does that make sense? 

• 8. Re: A script to display limited records
                        philmodjunk

Make sure that Start Ship Date is defined as a date field. This sounds like it is actually defined as a text field.

If you have a date field and not text, this expresion should find all records from todays date to 14 days in the future:

Set Field [Logistics::Start Ship Date; Get ( CurrentDate ) & "..." & Get ( CurrentDate ) + 14]

• 9. Re: A script to display limited records
                          Svetlana

Huzzah! It worked :) Thank you so much! I appreciate all of your help.