6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 7:17 PM by DavidDuncan

A simple problem of recognising order in integers (i.e., 1, 2, 3  NOT 1, 10, 100)

DavidDuncan

Title

A simple problem of recognising order in integers (i.e., 1, 2, 3  NOT 1, 10, 100)

I have a simple problem of integer order that I have not encountered a simple solution to on Forums. I would be delighted to be scornfully shown a link to the solution by one of you, but alas I have not found it here or on other community forums.

I have a table of 60K records from a plant ecology study obtained from point-quadrating technique, which records interception of plant species along a sequence of pin drops. See the screenshot for example.

At each sampling location "TransectID" there are up to 360 pin drops (represented by "Autonumber"). I have made a calculation field "Point.ID" ("TransectID & "." &  Autonumber") to represent the unique pin locations. 

Several species may be encountered at any PointID, thus in the table it is not unique (see there are several 262.10 for example).

I want to be able to order PointID so that the 262.1 is followed by 262.2, 262.3 etc, rather than 262.10, 262.100, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

I imagine that if I could specify that Autonumber is a 3 digit integer (e.g., interpret 1 as 001), and then do the calculation, that the order should work, but I don't know if that is possible.

Thanks in anticipation.

D

Screen_Shot_2014-01-21_at_12.09.01_PM.png