2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2008 5:54 AM by trevorlawson

A simple Sum

trevorlawson

Title

A simple Sum

I'm currently drowning in Filemaker Poo and can't seem to get the simplest thing to work.  Any help with the following will be gratefully received.

I have a table "Results", containing a number field: "Diagnoses in 2007"

There are two records in this field.  One says "340" and the other says "100".

I have created a calculation field to Sum the data in  "Diagnoses in 2007", called "Total Diagnoses in 2007".

I have created the following Calculation:

Total Diagnoses in 2007 =

Sum ( Diagnoses in 2007 )

But when I create a layout to show the result, putting the calculation field on the layout, instead of one result "440", there are two records, one showing "340" and the other "100".  The data isn't being Summed at all.  This is clearly something very simple but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Please help.  Filemaker Pro may be clever, but it's anything but intuitive.  Thanks a million.

• 1. Re: A simple Sum
          Lawrence2
             I believe you need to do this in two steps: 1) use a calculation field to add your two fields together, 2) use a summary field to total the calculation field. 
          • 2. Re: A simple Sum
            trevorlawson

Hi Lawrence - it's even simpler than that.  There's only one field.  But you've given the game away.  All I needed was a Summary field, not a Calculation field. So simple - if you know about Summary fields.  That's what happens when you don't read the manual from the beginning.  Many thanks.