4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 2:42 PM by axlrose

A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results

axlrose

Title

A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results

Is there a way to find a record and then find another record and keep both of them in the found results.

i am trying to print labels i have to print a label for each person. instead of going through one by one to print the label it would be much easier if i can find all of them first and then print. please help thanks so much.

• 1. Re: A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results
          philmodjunk

There are a variety of ways to do what you want. The advantages of one approach over another can depend on exactly what you are trying to do.

Let's consider two options:

The records you want to print have nothing in common except that you want use them to print a label.

In this case you can add a field to your records and format it as a check box field. When you find the records you want to print, click their check boxes. (You can use scripts or Replace field contents to "check" the box for multiple records at once if you want.) Perform your find and mark records as many times as you need, then do a find where you just search for the check box and you'll get your set of label records. After printing, you will need to "uncheck" all your selected records. Replace field contents or a script can do this for you.

Your original find pulled up almost all the records you want but you realize that you need a few more records.

Use the Modify last find menu option to repeat your last find but with modifications. You can build some pretty sophisticated searches by using special symbols and multiple find requests. You can also use a script to "extend found set" or "constrain found set".

You've got multiple options here and I've kept my descriptions of them really general. You can look up information on some of these issues in your on line help. You can also use this post to refine your request and post back here with more info on what you want to do.

• 2. Re: A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results
            axlrose

Ok but how do i do the first option with the check box. i am in edit layout now . im trying to find a insert check box option but cant seem to.

please help. thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results
              philmodjunk

Use format | field control... | set up

Change your edit box to check box and choose the appropriate value list for your check boxes. In your case, I would set up a value list with a single custom value "Selected" or some such value.

• 4. Re: A way to keep finding records and keep adding them to the results
                axlrose
                   thanks a lot. you gave me just enough information for me to do this myself.