5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 11:18 AM by philmodjunk

A4 Reporting

ThomChase

Title

A4 Reporting

Hi All, 

This is my first post so bare with the potentially stupid questions!

One thing I am looking to do from my database is create a quote. So we have one database called 'quote' that is used to generate this A4 report. I have one layout for entering in all the values and then another for displaying the formatted report for PDF'ing and printing. 

I have managed to get an A4 report going but it's very messy. Some questions here. 

When I'm formatting a the report I can not set page boundries so I know what to design in. 

Also when I hit Preview I can only see the first page and not the whole thing. 

One other thing is that the position tool in the edit layout are very vauge, when you type 1.5 in. It ends up at 1.517. 

Finally, unlike illustator, you can't set the middle of the image as the anchor point, meaning that you can't align something to the middle of the page. 

Thanks for everyones help. 

Thom

• 1. Re: A4 Reporting
          philmodjunk

When I'm formatting a the report I can not set page boundries so I know what to design in. 

In layout mode, the page break boundaries are a function of the margin settings you specified for the layout and the current options selected in printer setup. If you select the desired printer, A4 page size and the desired page orientation in printer setup, the lines will shift to reflect those options. You can also use layout setup.. to specify margins and multi-column printing. These options will also cause the lines to reposition to reflect these changes.

Also when I hit Preview I can only see the first page and not the whole thing. 

To see additional pages, click the "book" control to flip through the pages much like you would use this control to flip through records when you are in browse mode.

One other thing is that the position tool in the edit layout are very vauge, when you type 1.5 in. It ends up at 1.517. 

Position is determined in pixels and then a calculation converts to inches or centimeters which can then round the values slightly. Admittedly, this works better for adjusting position for browse purposes where it makes sense to click the units next to the position boxes until you get pixels and just work with them.

Finally, unlike illustator, you can't set the middle of the image as the anchor point, meaning that you can't align something to the middle of the page. 

When I need to horizontally center an object on the page, I select or create a rectangular object (rectangle, field, button...), position and size it to stretch from the left hand edge of the page to the page break line and lock it. I can now select other layout objects and center align them to the locked object. When done, I can unlock and delete this object unless I find a way to use it as part of my layout. (Could be text field with center justified text.)

• 2. Re: A4 Reporting
            ThomChase

Hi, 

Thank you for these answers! Big help. I have already intergrated them all. 

One thing? Can you just change the measurements to pixels or the grid to mm?

Can I also ask, when I am adding a field box it adds it using the colour and format of recently added fields. Can I set a default template for this? Can you set templates full stop?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: A4 Reporting
              philmodjunk

If you click the units next to any of the postion boxes, they will cycle from inches to centimeters to pixels. So you can cycle them to pixels and then just adjust positions by entering size and position numbers in pixels. The rulers will change units to match when you do this.

To set the default format options, select them while no object in your layout is selected. If an existing object has all the options you want for the default, control click it (Windows) or command click it (Mac). You can also use the format painter tool to copy formatting options from one object to another.

I have no idea what you mean by "Set templates full stop".

• 4. Re: A4 Reporting
                ThomChase

Thanks for all this help Phil.

What I meant by set templates full stop was, can you make a default template to us on all new layouts. So for example I am setting fixed navigation tools and graphics for all pages. Can I have these appear on all new layouts?

Thanks

• 5. Re: A4 Reporting
                  philmodjunk

No but you can copy and paste and pasted buttons will usually not need any modification/updating after pasting except for things like script parameters and conditional formats that reference things not accessible on the new layout. (Check that your script will work with the new layout aslo as FileMaker scripts tend to be very "layout sensitive".

You can also set up one such layout and then use Duplicate Layout from find mode to start a new layout. That doesn't let you run the new layout wizard, but then you may not find that to be a major loss.