5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 7:56 PM by GailMooney

Ability to email all?

GailMooney

Title

Ability to email all?

Greetings...   I need to set up a new data base that would allow the user to create lists based on specific criteria.  From that list, I need to be able to create a button, or a script, or something, that would allow the user to email all the records in that found set.

I did find some information in the help under the SEND MAIL SCRIPT SETUP, that goes as follows....   but I can't figure out where I find these options at!  Does anyone out there know how to explain this a little better??  We are using Filemaker Pro Version 5 on a MacBook Pro, Leopard OSX 10.5.8

Here is the help info....

Options

• Click Specify to open the Specify Mail dialog box.  (I can't figure out where this is?? to even begin)
      • For To, indicate the address(es) of the recipient(s) (up to 255 characters).
      • Click Field Value to choose a field that contains the value to use for the recipient of the mail. Click Use current record to specify that only the value in the current record be used; click Use all records in found set to specify that all the values from this field in the current found set be used (to address a message to multiple recipients). (If the field is a repeating field, you can specify which repetition of the field to use by specifying a number for Repetition.)
      • Click Text to type the email address of the recipient.
      • Click Address to select a name from the address book of your email application.
      • For CC, indicate the address(es) of the recipient(s) to whom a copy of the mail is being sent (up to 255 characters).
      • Click Field Value to choose a field that contains the value to use for the recipient of the mail. Click Use current record to specify that only the value in the current record be used; click Use all records in found set to specify that all the values from this field in the current found set be used (to address a message to multiple recipients). (If the field is a repeating field, you can specify which repetition of the field to use by specifying a number for Repetition.)
      • Click Text to type the email address of the recipient.
      • Click Address to select a name from the address book of your email application.
      • For Subject, indicate a title for the email message (up to 255 characters).
      • Click Field Value to choose a field that contains the value to use for the subject of the email. (If the field is a repeating field, you can specify which repetition of the field to use by specifying a number for Repetition.)
      • Click Text to type the subject of the email.
      • For Message, indicate the text of the email message. The maximum message length is 32760 characters when typed in the dialog as Text, 64K when specified using a field's value.
      • Click Field Value to choose a field that contains the value to use for the text of the email. (If the field is a repeating field, you can specify which repetition of the field to use by specifying a number for Repetition.)
      • Click Text to type the text of the email.
      • Select Attach File to select a file to send as an attachment to the mail message.
      • Select Perform without dialog to put the composed email message in the email application's outbox, ready to be sent. If this option is not selected, the composed message is left open in the email application so it can be reviewed. In Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Entourage on the Macintosh operating system, the new message is left in the Drafts folder.

• 1. Re: Ability to email all?
          david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

Let me start by recommending you upgrade from version 5 to version 10. It really is worth it.

First start by placing the Send Mail script step in your script. Then, select the Send Mail script step that is in your script. At the bottom of the script window, you should now see a button called "Specify".

From there, follow the instructions contained in your FileMaker Pro help. 

• 2. Re: Ability to email all?
            GailMooney

Thanks for the input David.  Yes, will probably do the upgrade - have just recently started using the program again for a couple different projects - after a few years of no use.  

While I've been using FileMaker for quite a number of years, I've never really gotten into customizing the scripts, so I'm wondering if you could walk me through the part that gets me up to the help details.  Like, I really don't get where the Send Mail script goes...   Sorry, a little on the slow side with this.

I'm presuming I need to be in layout mode and need to then do what...   start a new field and then apply the script to that?

Many thanks again...

gail 

• 3. Re: Ability to email all?
              david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

I understand.

The send mail script step will send mail to either a static address, a calculated address, or from an address contained in a field. When contained in a field, the script step can send from either only the current record or all records of the found set.

The send mail script step, when using an address from a field, relies on the current context to figure out which table to use. Context depends on the current layout. You do not need to be in layout mode, nor does the target layout require the address field to be on the layout.

As a quick walk through, here are the basic steps:

1. Create the table containing the information you require.

2. Create a layout (if it does not already exist) from which to send emails.

3. Create the script that will contain the Send Mail script step.

4. Click the "Specify" button for the Send Mail script step.

5. Set the options according to the help file.

If this seemed like a lot, then you likely need some training which is outside this forum's scope. Pick up a good FileMaker training book, contact a trainer (such as myself) or contact a training school (there are lots - look them up on FileMaker's WEB site).

• 4. Re: Ability to email all?
                GailMooney

Nope - i think that will do it.  I think I was making it more complicated than it needed to be!

Many, many thanks!

Gail 

• 5. Re: Ability to email all?
                  GailMooney

OK David - worked like a charm.  I was definitely making it all far more complicated than it was - as is usually the case in a first time around with anything!

Thanks again and have a great weekend.