6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:29 AM by philmodjunk

Abort script with no abort step?

staffordavid

Title

Abort script with no abort step?

I wrote a stupid script--actualy, just one step--go to next field.  But I set a field trigger to do that, and now it is seized up--acting like it is in some sort of infinite loop.  Is there any way to abort it now so I don't have to force-quit?  I think that doing that corrupts it incrementally.

• 1. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
          JimMac

You sound like you are on MacOS.  Hold the  Command and a period key down to User Abort.  Check your layout for a "next" field.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
            staffordavid

Thanks for your reply, Jim.  Yes, MacOSX 10.8.3, FMP 10.0v3.  I did try "⌘."--held it down for a full minute at least. But it would not stop looping, so I had to force-quit.  Any ideas on how I can minimize or clean up the corruption that is no doubt building up from episodes like this?  We sold our business, so I am trying to clean up our db before passing it along to the new owner.  Way back in version 3, someone at fm tech support said to make clones, export text files, and then import the text files into the clones, but now that seems not to work well because of summary and calculation fields, so I've tried exluding those, but that seems overly complicated.  Thoughts, anyone?

• 3. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
              philmodjunk

There may not be any corruption. This just sounds like a script that is trapped in an infinite loop. One way to get that is a script that trips it's own script trigger--calling itself over and over again.

• 4. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
                RickWhitelaw

I doubt the looping would cause corruption by itself when you force quit.  Usually corruption is caused by the program improperly shutting  down when FM is writing to disk. You could do a consistency chec.

• 5. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
                  JimMac

If you have FMP advanced, use the Script Debugger to see what is hanging.  If not, add a Speak script before and after the GoToNext Field.  then with speaker volumn ON. You can hear if it is in a loop.  On the triggered Layout did you set up TAB orders so it would loop and have all fields defined?  It sounds like you are going to a NEXT Field that doesnt existsad

Jim...

• 6. Re: Abort script with no abort step?
                    philmodjunk

With Advanced, you can also abort scripts that have disabled user abort. You can open the script debugger to pause the script and then use the X button to cancel the script. In some cases, this can be a major "migraine relief" feature of FileMaker Advanced.