5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 9:41 AM by philmodjunk

accept payment method before print invoice

ianmoree

Title

accept payment method before print invoice

Hey Gang.

got a question for all you experts out there.

I have a custom pos i am working on and i have created invoices and now printing properly but would like to after creating the customer invoice, and when user clicks on save & print i would like:

• payment method ( cash, credit, check),etc to be entered with current bill total from invoice
      • then payment to be added to print layout with balance for total on invoice.

I hope that makes sense. i would like to know the BEST way to achieve this while not screwing up my totals from invoice.

-thanks  

• 1. Re: accept payment method before print invoice
          philmodjunk

Since this is a POS, (Point of Sale) system, is this the case that invoices are always paid in full at time of sale? Are there partial payments? (Half on my credit card, half in cash...)

How have you structured your system to record payments? (Or is setting up that table and relationship the first thing we need to do here?)

• 2. Re: accept payment method before print invoice
            ianmoree

How have you structured your system to record payments? (Or is setting up that table and relationship the first thing we need to do here?) Think setting up table and relationship would be a good idea. What i have now is lineItems table connecting to customers & products and lineitems has foreign keys for customers & a portal for products.

I have no payment type and would like to choose payment at the end of placing all my products on the current invoice

After all the items have been accounted for , i need to do a payment amount, less discount(if any), and deposit(if any) then leave

a BALANCE amount. After that is done, i would like to choose the payment type (cash, credit, check, charge) and then print the invoice with 

all of that information on it.

Hope that breaks it down really clearly now PhilModJunk.

-i

• 3. Re: accept payment method before print invoice
              philmodjunk

Normally a POS system has Clients, Invoices, LineItems and Products as the basic invoicing tables.

Clients----<Invoices----<LineItems>----Products

I don't quite follow how th line items table would have links to clients nor to a payment method as that would apply to a record in the invoices table--a table you don't identify here.

Since you describe a balance field here, as well as a deposit field (How is that different from a partial payment?), it would appear you need an payments table where you can track invoice totals and payments against them made by the client both at the time of sale and afterwards.

Does that match what you have in mind?

• 4. Re: accept payment method before print invoice
                ianmoree

i have customers --> Orders --> LineItems -->Products currently ( forgot the Orders table)

I have an invoice total before payment now in my lineitems table. which is a calculation based on extended price after calculating

teh qty * price.

Just dont know when i should check payment type and when to put it in system but i guess tracking the invoice totals and payments make at time of sale and afterwards sounds like a good approach, but keeping everything simple is always tricky.

How would i start besides makeing a payments table and creating a relationship between payments & orders table?

-i

• 5. Re: accept payment method before print invoice
                  philmodjunk

You've got the right idea. A portal to a payments table on your orders layout can be used to track payments made against that invoice. A total of that portal can be subtracted from the order total to compute a balance. You can base this portal's relationship by InvoiceID. You'll likely also want to set up a relationship so that you can see an "account" for any specified client that shows all payments and invoices and a runnting balance to show what they currently owe.

One complication this business practice creates for you is that a customer could send in a single payment to pay off multiple balances due on different orders. Unless you expect the user to manually split up this payment amount and log it as several different payments (a good way to introduce errors), you'll want to set up a join table between payments and invoices so that a given payment can be logged against multiple orders as well as multiple partial payments being logged against a single order.

Orders---<Order_Payment>-----Payments