1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2015 9:26 PM by philmodjunk

Access fields under a button quickly?

LeeMoreau

Title

Access fields under a button quickly?

Wondering what people do here.  Frequently I'll have things where it will be a list view with a bunch of fields, and then a transparent button over top of them to allow clicking anywhere in the row and jumping to that record.  Problem is when I want to modify a fiend in edit layout mode that is under the button.  Right now the only way I can do that is to move the button out of the way, change the field and move it back.  This works but in more complex examples, the objects that are on "top" I don't want to move because sometimes they are perfectly positioned and a pain to move, change what's under them and move them back.  Are there any easy options for changing something that's behind an object?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Access fields under a button quickly?
          philmodjunk

Make the fields themselves the button. You can select one button or multiple buttons and use Button Setup in the Format menu to turn them into a button. It may be easier to select each field one at a time and set them up as a button.

This is not always the best approach.

Second option:

Put the button behind the fields and make it 5 or more pixels wider to the right or the left of the field on that end. Select the fields and use the behavior settings to change them to deny access in browse mode. Now clicking on the field will drop through to the button underneath.

Both options have pluses and minuses so I suggest duplicating your layout and testing both approaches to see if either work better for you.