2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 8:01 AM by koryb

Access Only Specific Record Via IWP

koryb

Title

Access Only Specific Record Via IWP

We're publishing a new database via IWP which has a record for each of our clients. We want our clients to only see their specific record. So far I have:

1. Configured custom privileges so the client can view only their specific record.

2. Set File Options to hide the Status Bar for web users. This prevents web users from scrolling through other records. The fields would show "No Access" and they wouldn't see data, but still we wouldn't want them to see how many records there are, etc.

My problem is this - when opening the database in a web browser, it shows the first record in the database. The client can't see the data as it's not their specific record (all fields say "No Access"), but they are not seeing their record.

So how do I set it up that the record shown will be the right one each time? If client ABC happens to be the 10th record we created, how can I have the database open up only showing record #10? Right now no matter which clients' credentials I log in with, only record #1 appears? If they happen to be the client contained in record #1 they can see everything; if they're not all the see is "No Access".

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Access Only Specific Record Via IWP
          philmodjunk

Add a new layout not based on that table to which all users have access. Use a button on this layout to take them to the data layout and which also performs a find for their record.

or

Set up a script that runs when the file is opened. (See File Options.) Set up this script to find records. It can be as simple as:

Enter find Mode []
          Set Field [YourTable::PrimaryKey ; "*"]
          Perform Find[]

This searches a field that should never be empty to find all records that are not empty--finding all records--but then record access restrictions kick in and filter out all records except the record or records that they are permitted to see.

• 2. Re: Access Only Specific Record Via IWP
            koryb

The latter option you offered works like a charm. Thank you very much!