6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 1:08 PM by ninja

Access restrictions through IWP

Terri

Title

Access restrictions through IWP

Hi,

We had a consultant working with our company and he helped me set up a script that basically said that if a certain user logs in they are immediately sent to a certain layout. This way the outside person only sees information that pertains to them, and bypasses all the other confidential information. The only thing that he neglected to tell me before his contract time was up was how to activate it.

My question is, now that I have this script, where/how do I implement it on IWP. Doesn't a script have to be attached to a button somehow? Should it be linked to the "LOGIN" button on IWP? If so, how do I do that?

Let me know if you need more explanation or even a copy of the script. I am still now a pro at this and I know my verbiage is not always right.

Thanks,

Terri

• 1. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
          ninja

Howdy Terri,

Under File>>File Options you can define which script should run upon startup.  I think this is what you're after.

If you don't know the in's and out's of the script and are not 100% certain of everything it does:

- Playtest before launching it live

- ALWAYS keep backups

- Let us know how it works out and if you're up and running...

On second thought...do the above even if you ARE sure... ;)

• 2. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
            ninja
               can't believe I didn't write this in the first post 2 seconds ago, but relying solely on a script to hide confidential info is a bad idea.  You should verify with your developer, or an outside developer, that access and privileges are controlled by FMP's Access&Privileges system, and that the script on launch is a secondary mechanism.  Securing your info solely with a script is not very safe.
            • 3. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
              Terri

Thanks, you are absolutely right, there should always be a safeguard, and I did limit access to other layouts so I think we are good there.

For some reason the script doesn't seem to be working. This is what it looks like:

If [Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) = "RRD"]

Go to Layout ["OpeningMenuRRD" (CreativeProjects)]

Move/Resize Window [Current Window; Height: 600; Width: 750; Top: 15; left: 25]

Else If [Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) = "QUAD"]

Go to Layout ["OpeningMenuQUAD" (CreativeProjects)]

Else

Go to Layout ["OpeningMenu" (CreativeProjects)]

End If

Keeping in mind that this is for IWP, I checked for compatability and it indicated that the resizing of the window would not work.  So I took those out. It still didn't work. What I get is a screen that says no access. I also checked the account privilges and made sure that "RRD" and "QUAD" were able to view their opening menu and that was fine (as is other things that they need, at least I think so).

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 4. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
                ninja

Good questions often come in two's...

Is your script set to run with Full Access Privileges by any chance?

• 5. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
                  Terri

All scripts on the database are set with executable only for all users.

I think I found the answer. The script created by the consultant said get PrivilegeSetName. I changed it to get AccountName and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help though!! Have a good day!

• 6. Re: Access restrictions through IWP
                    ninja

Glad to hear it Terri,

As a note toward where I was heading with my question, having the checkbox in Scriptmaker checked for "Run with FullAccess Privileges" always returns "Full Access" if there is a Get(PrivilegeSetName) function in the script.  If this info is now not needed 'cause you worked around it...I'm glad to hear its working for you.

Depending on the number of users on the system, or in each privilege set, it can be easier to parse by privset than by account.  Only you can call that balance on your own system.

Have a great weekend!