AnsweredAssumed Answered

Access to FM newbie

Question asked by donkelly on May 28, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 by donkelly

Title

Access to FM newbie

hi all.

Am converting myself to Mac and FM after many years on 'the other side'. A couple of questions though.

I'm designing an accounting ledger file in FM13 attempting to replicate what i have in Access. 

1. the ledger uses various accounts to spend and receive money to and from. How would i go about calculating an account balance for each account. I can get a balance across all accounts but not each account. The set up is that each account has an opening balance and as transactions are entered i need to see a closing balance.

2. Transactions: In access i can specify a transaction type using a category field: Field Name; Income or Expense. i can then manipulate the actual amount of the transaction depending on the expense type. EG:  salary amount would be categorised as income and the amount entered, say 1000 would remain as a positive number. On the other hand a Rent amount would be categorised as an expense and the amount entered would become negative amount -350. This method uses the Fieldname.column lookup in a query. Can i replicate this in FM?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Outcomes