3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2010 7:19 AM by BodiceaOverall

ACCESS USER NEW TO FILEMAKER - HOW DO I START PROGRAMMING?

BodiceaOverall

Title

ACCESS USER NEW TO FILEMAKER - HOW DO I START PROGRAMMING?

Hello

I have been used to building databases using MS Access for about 15 years and I am really struggling with Filemaker.  All the things I used to do using VB, because macro's just don't cut it, I can't seem to work out a way of doing the same in Filemaker.

All I can see is that you stick a list of predefined functions together and mimic what a user would do.  In other words its like recording macros in Excel. 

I know what I want to do is far too complex for this macro step approach.  I am used to collecting data on a form, storing it in variables, running routines that check a variety of tables against these variables and pulling back other values and such like before committing to the data to the database.

I can't seem to even get started in Filemaker.  After clicking buttons reading the "Missing Manual" book I still don't get it.  Can someone just give me a pointer as to where to start doing this kind of stuff?

Eternally grateful!

• 1. Re: ACCESS USER NEW TO FILEMAKER - HOW DO I START PROGRAMMING?
          littledog

In general you can use any Manual starting from FM7 or better FM8.5 (web viewer included first time).

Regarding Access or Excel vs. FM. Lines you have wrote is very typical for the newbies in the FM.

FM solutions are easy develop and with scripting you can do so many things you cannot imagine in Access or Excel.

Don't think like in the VB - think like you think doing ordinary things - like cooking or fishing:) And then you catch the idea.

But in the beginning you must think again - why I want to switch....

• 2. Re: ACCESS USER NEW TO FILEMAKER - HOW DO I START PROGRAMMING?
            philmodjunk

Welcome to the forum,

I've designed and implemented fairly sophisticated Access DB's (With extensive VB code) as well as similarly complex Filemaker systems. They are different animals, but if you take a closer look at those script steps, you'll find much of what you are looking for listed there.

For example,

You have If, else, else-If, Loop, End Loop, exit loop if, items you can use for basic branching in your code much like you would in VB. In VB, you often declare variables with a DIM statment and then use them in your code. In filemaker it's more like working with the Option Implicit version of VB and you can simply start using varibles with steps such as Set Varible, or using the Let() function inside a calculated expression.

Feel free to post specific questions when you hit a road block, use Access terminology if you need to, and we'll do are best to help you with the learning curve.

• 3. Re: ACCESS USER NEW TO FILEMAKER - HOW DO I START PROGRAMMING?
              BodiceaOverall

Thanks for tips.  Will start cracking, no doubt I will have a lot of posts to the forum :smileytongue: