6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 10:48 AM by schamblee

Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?

MikeGuilbault

Title

Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?

I have an fmp12 file located on "Copy" cloud storage. I'm able to open it on my MacPro at work, and use my iPad connected via the WiFi with no issues.  I had made a couple changes yesterday, but when I opened the file with my laptop at home, the changes weren't present. And when I got back to work this morning and opened the file on my MacPro again, the changes I had performed yesterday were gone.  

I was hoping to work on the DB layout and such from home.  Does the online storage of the .fmp12 file not work, or am I doing something wrong?

Once I have the DB complete, I'll only need it on my desktop and can then transfer the file to my desktop, but I'd like access to it for development from both home and work.  Is there a better way to do this?

• 1. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
          schamblee

Filemaker does not sync unless you get a third party tool or create your own syncing solution.   You can move your files back and forth from your computer and ipad using dropbox, but it is not syncing.  From your computer you would sent the file to dropbox and from your ipad you would send from dropbox to Filemaker Go.  To send back from your ipad you would send to dropbox then you can open this file on your computer from dropbox.   Any modification would have to be sent from dropbox to Go.  Note I suggest deleting the file from Go before copy the new file from dropbox.  It ask to keep or replace, but I had it to keep both and append a number to the end of the file and I end up using the wrong file.  Also not that you delete from device and not just recent files.

• 2. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
            philmodjunk

Am I correct that hosted the file with your laptop and then used FM GO on your iPad to connect to the hosted file as a client of that DB?

That should have worked as the changes would have been saved back to the cloud.

But if you used your iPad to open the file directly, the iOS system probably required you to tap an "open with" icon and this action copies the file from the Cloud to the FileMaker Go sandbox. This is now a separate copy and unless you copy this file back to the cloud to replace the original, any data changes made will not show up when you next open the file using your lap top as it is not opening the same copy of the file.

I use drop box as a "crude synch" (I know S. Chamblee, it's a file copy not a true synch!) tool, but I have to be careful to use FM GO to send the file back to drop box before I next try to open the file in FileMaker Pro or I won't see my latest changes.

• 3. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
              schamblee

That is why I point out that it is not a true sync, because someone will end up coping over their file and lose data.   Depending on your business, it might be cheaper to buy a 3rd party sync tool, instead of wasting time rebuilding data.  I use dropbox to copy files between my computer, ipad and iphone all the time.      

• 4. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
                MikeGuilbault

Ok... so forget about the iPad for a second.  If I have the DB file in DropBox and open it from there on my desktop at work, make changes and close the file. Can I not open that file, still in DropBox, from home on my laptop and continue working on it.  Shouldn't the changes made at home be still there when I open the file at work, again, still in DropBox?

• 5. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
                  philmodjunk

I do that all the time with the Known Bugs List database. But I also have to look out for "conflicted copy" files in my drop box folder if I open the file from a second computer where I have drop box installed if I forget to close the file on the first computer before opening it on the second.

So it's a convenient way to have automatic backups of your file, but do it carefully or you could end up with a half dozen different copies of the file--each with different versions of your data.

It's most definitely NOT a way to share the database between multiple users who might try to access the database all at the same time. FileMaker and Drop Box will let them open the file, but then your drop box folder fills with those conflicted copies...

• 6. Re: Accessing a DB file from two different computers using cloud storage?
                    schamblee

The desktop application, create a folder (under My Documents) that is sync to the cloud.  When you save a file to dropbox it is saved to your local drive first and then is copied.  You can also setup other folders to sync.   There could be other files that are syncing to your dropbox before your new updated file is synced.   The length of time would depend on the size of your updated file plus any other files that may be syncing before hand and as PhilModJunk stated, if you forget to close the file, it will not sync. At least for a while, I haven't tested an extend amount of time, I've wait several minutes and then realized I didn't close the file.  Like, Phil stated you just have to be careful, but it is a very useful tool.  I test databases on my ipad and iphone all the time using drop box.  Dropbox maintains a time when the file was last updated, so if you just updated and it states 2 weeks then you know it not current.  On databases I'm test and moving back and forth several times a day, I put a temporary test version number on the layout, so I know it is an updated copy. (Test 1.1, or 1.2, so on)