AnsweredAssumed Answered

Accessing related tables... Any alternatives to portals?

Question asked by bosslisa on Dec 29, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 by bosslisa

Title

Accessing related tables... Any alternatives to portals?

<!-- StartFragment -->

Is it possible to access a related table from within the table you are currently working in? ie. by using a button?  Iunderstand that you can create a portal to view info from a related tablewithin your current table, but can you actually switch between tables that arerelated?  Essentially I want to beable to open the related record in the related db by hitting a button, orperforming some such function.

Let me explain my setup.  I have a contacts db and an inventory purchases db that arerelated by a number key as well as by the contact's name & company.  I set it up this way because most ofthe contacts have not made purchases. I want to be able to access the purchases db via the contacts db forcontact records that actually have made purchases, rather than having a portalin the contacts db that will be empty most of the time.  The other issues with using a portal inthe contacts db to view the purchase records are that I don't have enoughroom to display all the purchase info, and I don't need all of that info displayed in the contacts db.

<!-- EndFragment -->

Outcomes