2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 2:57 PM by Vettura

Account privileges between files - Launch Files

Vettura

Title

Account privileges between files - Launch Files

Good Evening All,

I have a query regarding the creation of a launch file:

I'm trying to create a launch file to reside on individuals computers which, when opened, will open and share a centrally deployed Master file. Basically, I'm trying to achive a simple user-experience of double clicking an icon on the desktop and scripting takes care of opening the shared file.

My questions are;

1. If I had Accounts and Privileges setup in the launch file and a simple "Open File" script to open the shared file, would those privileges be passed thru to the shared file at the time of opening or would there be a second login process?

2. Secondly, if I had a login function in the launch file which stored the Account name and Password as a Global Field or Variable, is it possible to pass globals or variables between the launch file and the shared file at the time of opening?

3. Is there a way of scripting a process to check if a file is already open/shared and if not, then open it for sharing?

Not sure if the above is clear but any help appreciated.

Richard 

• 1. Re: Account privileges between files - Launch Files
          philmodjunk

1. If I had Accounts and Privileges setup in the launch file and a simple "Open File" script to open the shared file, would those privileges be passed thru to the shared file at the time of opening or would there be a second login process?

As long as the shared file has an account/password that exactly match the account/password used to open your launch file, you will not get a second request to enter a password. It will be automatically opened with the password used to open the first file.

Item 2: no, but you won't need to. See answer to item 1.

"3. Is there a way of scripting a process to check if a file is already open/shared and if not, then open it for sharing?"

That depends, if you want to get a list of all database files that have been opened by the current computer, DatabaseNames will return a list of all database files currently open. If you want to check to see what files are available from a host computer, I don't know.

If you want the user to be able to use the launch file to automatically open a shared file with a specific account/password without having the user actually enter them, define a matching account/password in your launcher file and use File Options to specify that the file will open itself with this password. (To open the file with a different password, hold down option (mac) or shift (windows) while opening the file.)

Note that placing launcher files with default passwords on your client computers represents a possible security risk.

• 2. Re: Account privileges between files - Launch Files
            Vettura

Thanks for that, it's saved me wasting further hours trying to pass variables between my files and using DatabaseNames has given me an idea to tinker with.

I'm thinking of having an Account with a restricted privilege set in both files and the launch file will open the shared file with this Account, arriving on a layout where a login routine can be scripted to control further access.

Thanks very much