2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 8:47 AM by naro

Activate a Popup menu with a script or keyboard command

naro

Title

Activate a Popup menu with a script or keyboard command

I'm a frequent user of pop up menus or drop down lists that select the key from a child record and then I display a different field from the child record.  With spiffy new loong unique child record keys in my solution my methods have become either too ugly(drop down list) or are still too slow(popup menu), I need something better.

my problem: I typically use a merge field on top of the field that holds the child record's foreign key.  When the drop down menu is used the child foreign key value is visible while you select from the list (see image). Its ugly and the poor users are terrified that some code is leaking out of the solution.  The aesthetically advantageous popup menu is a major road block to quick data entry because the user must mouse activate the field instead of tab.  So seeing the child key rear its ugly head in a drop down menu is too ugly, popup menu is too slow.

Suggestions for a fast popup or a good looking drop down are very welcome. 

quandary_.jpg

• 1. Re: Activate a Popup menu with a script or keyboard command
          philmodjunk

Unless you are using separated devices to collect data independently that is then merged back into a central file, there's no real advantage to using what I must assume is Get ( UUID ) for your primary key. I'd use an auto-entered serial number instead. That reduces the "ugly" factor by a bit.

But I'm not sure why your pop up menu would be slow. Is it a very large list? Are you using FM GO on an iPad or iPhone? or ???

You may find the method in this demo file helpful:

FileMaker 12 users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fmp12
               Pre FileMaker 12 Users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fp7

• 2. Re: Activate a Popup menu with a script or keyboard command
            naro

Thanks for the file Phil,

I am preparing the solution to do data collection with iPhones.  That motivated the use of Get (UUID).

A lot of data entry is done on laptops with FMP 12. The popup menus are less than 20 items and not slow when they are clicked on but rather the constant need to leave the keyboard and grab the mouse slows down the user.  For a typical new record 3 of 8 fields create a link to a child record.  The user could easily have 60 records to enter at one sitting, the corresponding 180 times they have to leave the keyboard and grab the mouse to activate popups hasn't been satisfying for anyone.

Thanks for the file.  It does address the unsightly ID.  The unsightly ID is very common in my solution with many affected child tables. I was of course hoping for something simpler {groan} but thanks for sending a solution.