4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 10:51 AM by biiiink

Active Portal row displays record

biiiink

Title

Active Portal row displays record

I have a portal at the top of the layout.  What I would like to be able to do is select one of the rows in the portal, and have it display all of the information in that record below the portal.  Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Active Portal row displays record
          philmodjunk

Yes, you can use button set up to turn the field or fields in the portal row into a button. Clicking that button can perform a script that either finds that record or links to that record in order to then display the details in the body of the layout.

• 2. Re: Active Portal row displays record
            biiiink

Thanks for the response.  I may need a little more hand holding though.  Is there a tutorial out there? or maybe some search terms I could use with Google.  I've tried searching for this, but come up empty.  

Thanks

• 3. Re: Active Portal row displays record
              philmodjunk

You start with a self join relationship as needed for your portal:

LayoutOccurrence------<PortalOccurrence

Where both are Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of the same data source table. The relationship can be whatever produces the desired list of records in your portal. You can use the X operator instead of = to show all records in the portal. I will assume that there is a field that serves as a primary key (Unique identifier for every record in the table) which I will refer to as __pkPrimaryKey.

Scripted find method:

Set Variable [$ID ; value: PortalOccurrence::__pkPrimaryKey ]
              Enter Find Mode []
              Set Field [LayoutOccurrence::__pkPrimaryKey ; $ID ]
              Perform Find[]

Go To Related Records Method:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: PortalOccurrence; Using layout: <Current Layout> ]

Link Method:

Define an additional relationship:

LayoutOccurrence-----SelectedOccurrence

LayoutOccurrence::SelectedRecord = SelectedOccurrence::__pkPrimaryKey

The script:

Set Field [LayoutOccurrence::SelectedRecord ; PortalOccurrence::__pkPrimaryKey ]
              //If screen does not update instantly, add this step:
              Commit Records
              Add the fields you want to show this deatil info from SelectedOccurrence

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 4. Re: Active Portal row displays record
                biiiink

I'm revisiting this and trying to wrap my head around this, but my head isn't cooperating.

I have a relationship of Clients----<Policies

I have a layout showing records from the Clients table, with a portal in it showing all related Policies.  What im wanting to be able to do is click on a row in the portal, and have the data from that selected policy displayed below.

What im having an issue understanding is:

You start with a self join relationship as needed for your portal:

LayoutOccurrence------<PortalOccurrence

Where both are Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of the same data source table.

The way im understanding it, my layout occurrence and portal occurrence are different data sources.  Is this to set up the portal to display the records?  Because I already have the portal displaying the records that I want displayed