3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 4:31 PM by philmodjunk

activity history with present date, future contact date and link to database list for clients to...

KellyHudak

Title

activity history with present date, future contact date and link to database list for clients to contact on any given day

Hi!

I have been searching the forums and have found information close to what I am looking for but not quite right for my application.

I would appreciate any advice and direction you may be able to offer. I'm working from the Starter Solutions in Contacts. I'd like to add a call history section that shows up as a list in contacts. In this section I'd like to see the date that client was called. I would then like to click on a date and see what was talked about in a section to the right. A place where I can take notes.

I'd also like to add a section for following up, where I would enter the date I should call a client. 

Last I would like a database that I can open and view contacts needing to be followed up with on any particular day. It would have the present day but I would be able to type in other days so that I may view future contact scheduling. Possibly if I were to click on a client name in that list it would bring me back to their contact info. so I could make the call.

Would there be a way to create a button near the search field, print and add to open such a database so I would not have to leave contacts? 

Please let me know if this is an appropriate set of questions for the forum. Is it already explained somewhere? Do I need a consultant. How complex is the set up for something like this?

Thank you so much!

Kelly

• 1. Re: activity history with present date, future contact date and link to database list for clients to...
          philmodjunk

This is a very appropriate list of questions to ask here, but you might want to take it one question at a time as it would take a lot of typing to respond to all of them in one post.

Let's take the one mentioned in the title of your post, logging a contact history for each contact in your database. You should define a new table for this and use ContactID (Check the starter solution for the actual field name) to link the existing contact management table to this new ContactHistory table:

Contact Management::ContactID = ContactHistory::ContactID

Enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" for ContactHistory in this relationship. (Double click the relationship line.)

Now you can place a portal to ContactHistory on a layout based on Contact Management and you can create records in this portal where you log each time you communicate with that contact. If you add a field that auto-enters a timestamp into a timestamp field, you can automatically record the date and time a new History record was created. If you sort your portal records in descending order by this field, you can have the most recent contact listed as the first entry in the portal.

Portals, BTW, are an extremely common layout feature in FileMaker Pro databases. If you haven't worked with them before, you might want to research the term in FileMaker help and any training materials on FileMaker that you may have in order to learn more about them.

• 2. Re: activity history with present date, future contact date and link to database list for clients to...
            KellyHudak

Thank you for your advice. Yes I agree! One step at a time :)

In defining a new table for the database "Contacts" I'd like to make sure I'm completing this action correctly.

File - Manage - Database - Tables - type in my new table name (Contact History) - Create

Next, in defining this new table I double click opening up the options, check creation and choose Timestamp (Date and Time).

I then specify a calculation highlighting "Contact History" = "Timestamp (Date and Time)  ***Not certain if this part is correct.

I then move to relationships to connect "Contacts" to "Contact History" by using "Create a relataionship" (I've enabled allow creation of records... for "Contact History")

Now I insert a portal - check sort portal order for descending value - I add a field to the portal ("Contact History")

Going back to my layout in "Contacts" I try to use the portal by typing in a date but it does not seem to save any date that I type after going to contact list. Should I even have to type a date? (At first I thought I may be able to type a note here that would be timestamped but it is not allowing any characters other than the specified timestamp that I set, can I add a note by connecting to this timestamp portal?) I feel like I am missing something. . .

Thank you so much for your time on this, I really appreciate it!!

Kelly

• 3. Re: activity history with present date, future contact date and link to database list for clients to...
              philmodjunk

Next, in defining this new table I double click opening up the options, check creation and choose Timestamp (Date and Time).

You seem to have skipped a step there. Did you first click the fields tab and create a new field for this new table? Did you create a text field for recording the note as well?

I then specify a calculation highlighting "Contact History" = "Timestamp (Date and Time)  ***Not certain if this part is correct.

Don't see any reason why you need to do that.

I then move to relationships to connect "Contacts" to "Contact History" by using "Create a relataionship" (I've enabled allow creation of records... for "Contact History")

Did you define a field for the contact ID in the new contact history table? Did you drag from contact ID in one table to contact ID in the other to create this relationship?

Going back to my layout in "Contacts" I try to use the portal by typing in a date but it does not seem to save any date that I type after going to contact list. Should I even have to type a date? (At first I thought I may be able to type a note here that would be timestamped but it is not allowing any characters other than the specified timestamp that I set, can I add a note by connecting to this timestamp portal?) I feel like I am missing something. .

You should have added both the timestamp field with the auto-enter setting and your text field for recoring a note. Entering data into the Notes field should create a new record and doing so should enter the current date and time into the timestamp field automatically. You can use data formatting to control how the date and time is displayed in this field.