12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 3:24 PM by JHCTom

Add a note function doesn't work after import of data

JHCTom

Title

Add a note function doesn't work after import of data

Hi...newbie user, working with the 30 trail version.

Modified the "Contact Management" template for my needs.  All functions worked great and I added a couple of records by hand just to test.

I imported data from an spread sheet (Neo Office on a mac, file was saved as .xls).  Import went great, all the data flowed into the right spots. However, post import I go to the Note tab, click on "add a note" and it jumps back to the front tab!  No note, just jumps back.

So I deleted the Notes tab, then re-inserted it, cut and pasted the Notes stuff from the original template.  Same thing.  Deleted that stuff and rebuilt a notes section by hand, still does the same thing!

So what did I mess up? And why did it get messed up on import!  

• 1. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
          TSGal

JHCTom:

Thank you for your post.

The "Add a Note" button is supposed to execute the script "Add a Note".  Therefore, instead of clicking on the button, pull down the Scripts menu and select "Manage Scripts...".  Scroll down the list of scripts until you see "Add a Note", and at the bottom, click the right most icon to execute the script.  This should then add a Note.  Does this work?  If so, then return to Layout Mode, select the Notes tab, click once on "Add a Note", pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup...".  On the left side, it should say "Perform Script".  If not, then select it, and then "Specify..." the script "Add a Note".

If you are still running into difficulty, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
            mrvodka
               I dont think that this should be an issue after an import unless you happen to be showing NO RECORDS, or rather an empty found set.
            • 3. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
              JHCTom

TSGal: Thanks for the tip but still doesn't work.

1.  Did the first part (Not in layout mode, right?) and clicked on the little green arrow and it flips back to the front tab, just like before.

2.  Checked out the second half of your e mail it is set up exactly like you said in your reply.

So... what next? I really need the note function, it's the key to the whole app for me! 

• 4. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                mrvodka
                   Double check the script to make sure that nothing is broken. Better yet, can you post it?
                • 5. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                  JHCTom

I guess I could.  How do I attach or post a file on here?

Here is another odd thing I found.  If I add a new blank record or use one of the 2 records I typed in by hand the "add a note" function works just fine.  But if I try to use it on any record that was imported, it just jumps back to the front tab again.   

• 6. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                    philmodjunk
                       It sounds like your imported data left a field blank in your table. Possibly it's a serial number field that needs a unique value in order for you script to work. You may need to try to import your data again and this time click the "auto enter" check box that's part of the Import Records dialog.
                    • 7. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                      JHCTom
                         Thanks I'll give that a try.  If I import again, will it dup the records or just fill in the left out stuff?
                      • 8. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                        philmodjunk
                           Depends on the options you select. I'd suggest starting over from scratch as that's safer for the novice. Import Records is one of those powerful tools that can produce sweeping changes to large chunks of data in your tables, so it's a good idea to keep lots of back up copies until you're confident you've got it working correctly for you.
                        • 9. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                          JHCTom

I just tried filling in all the blanks in an imported record and it doesn't make the note function start working on that or any other record so not sure that re-importing will change anything.  During import I matched up all the fields from the import file to fields in the record.  Not all the fields in the record have corresponding data in the import file.  Is this the problem, I can only import data if it fills every field? 

• 10. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                            JHCTom

As in delete all the records or just build a new database all over again?

• 11. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                              philmodjunk

Here's why I'm speculating that you have an unpopulated ContactID or some such serial number field:

"If I add a new blank record or use one of the 2 records I typed in by hand the "add a note" function works just fine.  But if I try to use it on any record that was imported, it just jumps back to the front tab again. " 

That's typical behavior for this issue. When you create a new record, the system automatically enters a new unique serial number for you in this field. The scripts/calculations/Relationships probably need a valid number in this field in order to function correctly. Thus, your records with imported data won't work (their ID field is blank) while the hand entered records will.

You can import data from any compatible file format and can manually match up the fields anyway you want. The results, however, may not work as you expect due to the missing ID number that wasn't part of your original xls format file.

After you align your fields and click "Import" you will probably get a small dialog box labeled "Import Options". There's a check box labeled "Perform auto-enter options while importing...". If you select that option, all fields set to auto-enter data--such as the above auto-entered serial number that I suspect is needed--will automatically recieve the data specified in their field definitions.

If you start over and import your data from the xls file, but select this import option, your script will probably start working for you.

• 12. Re: Add a note function doesn't work after import of data
                                JHCTom

You, Sir, are a GENIUS! 

Deleted all the records, reimported with the box check and the note function now works!  (Ok, true, I didn't try it on all 355 records but just a sample as I assume if it works on a few it must work everyplace.  Right?  Or did I just get "ASSumed?)

I'm going home now, thank you, thank you! :-)